Does sun block expire?

We're going to the lake today and I have an entire bottle of sun block that's about 2 years old. It doesn't have an expiration date anywhere but I'm planning to use it for my 2 year old and myself (I'm pregnant) so I want to make sure it's going to work.

Does sun block expire? Should I just play it safe and go buy a new bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on May. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think you're supposed to buy new sunblock every year, but I've only heard that for the last couple of years from people around me. Maybe just buy a new bottle to be safe? Better safe than sunburned?!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:23 AM on May. 25, 2009

• It will be good for one year past the expiration date. If it has a not number and not a date, you will need to contact the manufacturer.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:26 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Yes it does. I don't know when exactly, but I know that it does lose its effectiveness over time. Two yrs old would be my max. amt of time. If you arent sure, just swing by the drug store or walmart and grab a new one. Sunscreen has gotten expensive over the years. Its like $8 a bottle now. I buy the spray.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:41 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Be sure to slather it on well. My dermatologist says that in general SPF 15 is fine, but people don't put enough on, so for me he recommends SPF 30.

Answer by Bmat at 10:04 AM on May. 25, 2009

• You need to buy sunscreen every year. Two years would be too old to use. That is why I only buy 1 bottle at a time, the same with sunscreen. BYW, don't buy the combo of sunscreen and bugspray, it is not good for people to have that much bugspray slathered on them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:27 PM on May. 25, 2009

• ive noticed with all the ones ive boughten they all expire within a year and a half..so..i just buy a new one eveyr year anyways..why not..better to be safe then to be stuck with a sunburn!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:51 PM on May. 25, 2009

• You're supposed to buy new every year. Before I knew this I used sun block from the previous year on my kids and they broke out in horrible rashes. But they do have sensitive skin, so....who knows.

I just buy new each spring. The pediatrician recommended it to me, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:00 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Buy it every year. I bought a new bottle yesterday and it expires in about a year. Also I use a higher spf on my face and don't buy the cheap stuff, if you or your son have sensitive skin it can cause a reaction. Spend the extra money for the good stuff.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:41 PM on May. 25, 2009