Is a beach vacation not the perfect idea for a baby?

My baby is six months old, we are planning to go to ocean city maryland when he is nine months, in augusst. My idea was to stay at a hotel with a pool and that was near a water park. I was mainly going to go to the pool and take the baby to the waterpark and in the afternoon when the sun was down, go to the beach for about 30 mintues, depending on how my son is. We were going to stay for 2-3 nights. This would be my first time alone with my fianance and my son because my mom is always with me. Everyone is telling me it is not a good idea to go to the beach when he is that young. Do I have a good plan for his age or are day trips the way to go for this summer? PLEASE HELP!!!!

FunkyMonkeyMum

Asked by FunkyMonkeyMum at 10:00 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I live about 10 min. from the beach and have 3 kids. My kids all went to the beach at a young age. We were smart about it: lots of sunscreen, lots of liquids to drink, umbrella to help block the sun, sun hats, etc. The small kids usually love the sand so bring sand toys. The waves in the water are sometimes frightening for small kids, but mine loved to play where the sand was wet but out of reach of the waves. They will definitely let you know when they've had enough. Try it just be prepared and sun safe. Have fun and bring the camera. First trip to the beach is a scrapbook moment.

plumdelightful

Answer by plumdelightful at 12:04 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I think they may be right.A baby's skin is very sensitive to the sun.In a year when the baby is walking a beach vacation would be a blast.Take your camera for alot of cute pictures.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:08 AM on May. 25, 2009

• i took my dd to orlando when she was 9months old & she was fine @ the beach jsut make sure you slather on the sun screen :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:11 AM on May. 25, 2009

• If you take him out before 10 and after 4 it would be better for him, and I'd still slather him up with plenty of sunblock and not expose him to the sun anyway. August is often miserably hot and humid in Maryland. For a little one ...let's see, at 9 months he'll be sitting up most likely, so he could play in the sand with a little shovel and bucket, and you can dip his feet in the surf and feed the gulls, although he might not understand about that. So take lots of precautions with your little guy. He'll get sand in his diaper- no big deal, and he'll be hot- but the breeze from the ocean will be pleasant. He'll have the experience of new sounds and smells, the fresh air, parents who are getting some vacation time. :)

Answer by Bmat at 10:14 AM on May. 25, 2009

• We took our babies to OC, Md, at that age and have pictures of them sitting in the sand with their little sunhats on. We were careful to not take them out between 10 and 4, but there were other things we did- push them on the boardwalk, play in the hotel room. We did have a beach umbrella, too, to protect them.

Answer by Bmat at 10:17 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I literally grew up at the beach--Cape Cod! SURE you have to be very careful, but you sound like you are being mindful of the sun and length of exposure. Make sure to have your baby wear a wide brimmed hat preferably with a neck protector flap, LOTS of SPF 45+ sunscreen--even on cloudy days and late in the afternoon, and provide as much shade as possible. Be sure to offer your baby lots of fluids, and keep loose and light and DRY clothing (babies do get hot and sweaty) on in between swims.

P.S. One of my favorite sights is One Step Ahead (but you can find less expensive similar items locally)--use it as a reference of things you MIGHT want to bring with you! I personally love the pop-up shade systems! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:19 AM on May. 25, 2009

• your baby will be fine :0) i have taken both of my kids to the beach when they were babies and it was so fun! we put out a big umbrella and towels and things for the to play with , and we layed out in the sun while the baby was under the umbrella, with sunscreen on of course :0)
    have a great vacation!
    Brookey

Answer by Brookey at 10:32 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I've brought all my babies to the beach. Just bring a sun umbrella to give baby some shade, and dress baby in light layers to further protect their tender skin.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:47 AM on May. 25, 2009

• As others have said, it may not be the "perfect" vacation for a baby that age, but should be fine if you're careful. Keep in mind that on the beach you can still get a sunburn in the shade. If your baby is crawling, life may not be very easy for you on the beach (I'm just thinking about my daughter who is nearly 9 months now and is very hard to manage outdoors). Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:50 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I think day trips at that age is the way to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 25, 2009