Weight loss and IUD????

I've had a iud for a few years. I really like the iud but my doctor said that it would keep me from losing weight. Has anyone lost a large amount of weight with an iud? Was is harder than without an iud?

MY3BOYZINCO

Asked by MY3BOYZINCO at 10:04 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Health

• I'm having a lot of trouble losing weight and I have and IUD. i've always been a very small person & with in 2 years of having my IUD, I've gained like 20 lbs. I can use some of it, but seriously, I didn't NEED to gain 20. Also, I have severe acne, which i haven't had since I was like 15. When I told my doc about the acne and weight gain, he said those are his biggest complaints with an IUD. I was thinking, why didn't you tell me that BEFORE I let you put it in me? Anyway, 2 weeks ago, I put myself on a very restrictive diet, no sugar, low calorie, basically cardboard & veggie diet, with the guidence of my FIL (who is a doctor but not MY doc). I started running again. I've lost 2 lbs, which really isn't that much, but so far it's staying off. For the acne, my doc gave me a VERY low dose of estrogen in a patch, so the progestrone in my IUD and estrogen work together like birth control does, to help the acne, and it's gone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I'm anon :11, sorry to post anon above, but I have been attacked for having an IUD here on cafemom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I am assuming you have an IUD that uses hormones? If you are not allergic to the copper IUD, maybe that would be a better option for you. A lot of women have problems losing weight while on hormonal BC. I didn't have any weight gain on paraguard(the copper IUD) I actually was able to lose about 30 lbs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I haven't seen any difference in my weight period. I got my iud put in at my 6 week pp visit. I lost the baby weight just like I normally would have and have been the same ever since. I have merina.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:20 AM on May. 25, 2009