Anyone an ultrasound tech?

I am currently in school and had the intentions of going into the RN program. I am finishing up my prerequisites this fall and in the spring next year. I am now having thoughts of changing my major to the diagnostic medical sonography program my school recently got. After doing some major thinking, even though nursing would probably be a good fit for me, i know i would work crummy hours and long hours especially right out of school and with 2 kids i have already sacrificed a lot of time away going to school while working full time. I want a job with more "normal" hours, still in the medical field i love. My school isn't yet accredited by CAAHEP, but the director told me they hope to be in the next year. I will not attend without that accredidation. If your an US tech, how do you like it? How tough is the licensing process? It is sounding a little confusing to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sorry, to interrupt your question. I just wanted to say that if you were to go into the RN program, and NOTE I am not promoting either or, there are so many opportunities these days with nursing. It doesn't mean you have to work crummy hours. Your options are virtually limitless. There is home care, weekend options, pharmaceutical reps, etc.. etc.. Although I always recommend anyone looking into becoming a pharmaceutical rep because there are big bucks and lots of perk there. Also, they will look at anyone with a medical program degree.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:29 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I have a friend who just graduated to become a US Tech and cannot find a full time job in the entire state of AR. A lot of these tech positions are becoming so saturated because they're pushing the schooling so hard - it's usually cheaper and quicker than an RN degree.
    Anonymous