Best friend's daughter has chronic lice..what to do?

She's had it on and off again for over 3 years now. Yes, 3 years. My daughter and I have gotten it from them probably 6 times and I'm just fed up. I've bought her lice treatments, helped her debug her house, googled all kinds of home remedies but I've had enough.

I have to register my kid for school this week and I refuse to let my daughter be the kid that the nurse sends home.

I've tried putting my foot down and not going near them until her head was clear but she's a SAHM with no car and her hubby works insane hours, so I take her to the grocery store, the doctor etc.

I just don't understand where it keeps coming from, but I'm sick of having to treat my hair, my daughter's and my house.

What should I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It just takes one missed lice egg to start the whole outbreak all over again.

Hair dye will 100% kill all of the eggs in one treatment. My dd had chronic bouts also. I always wondered why I never became infested. We used the same shampoos, conditioners. We shared pillows. She occassionally slept in my bed. Then it dawned on me, that I frequently dyed my hair. I chose a color close to her natural hair color, applied it on her, and that was the last time she ever had lice.

I hate when ignorant people think that only "dirty" or "poor" kids get it. If you're a human being, it's possible to "catch" lice.
    Anonymous

• Don't take her out. Lice treatments need to be repeated more than once, you must clear out everything in the house, clean the carpets and bag up all the clothes, toys and everything else to kill it. She needs new brushes and everything if she continues to break out with it. Nicely tell her you can no longer help her out. If she has things to do then she needs to get the car from her husband. Treat your home and child and rid yourself of it and avoid doing anything with her that involves her head or her being near you.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:50 AM on May. 25, 2009

• All of their clothing, linens and pillows need to be washed in hot water or put in the freezer for 48 hours. The lice are obviously not being killed.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:51 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Add tea tree oil to your shampoo. It will keep the cooties at bay.

Check out this link...scroll down a bit just before the heading of Face and Body care. http://aztec.asu.edu/makingscents/articles/Tea_Tree_Article/tea_tree_article.html

MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:10 PM on May. 25, 2009

• we battled with it for nearly a year, nothing seemed to work. what finally worked for us was a product called resultz. since we finally got rid of them we have been adding tea tree oil to our shampoo bottles, and have now been lice free for nearly a year.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:55 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I had the same problem when I was a kid because I constantly got it from school and other friends. What we did was we did the lice treatment and the poor white vinger over her hair. Since it is chronic the vinger will kill the rest of the lice and then comb it and the nits will come out eaiser. After you have done it and she is nit free put hair spray in her hair everyday. Because lice can not get through hair spray. Spray everywhere on her head. Put all of the stuffed animals in a plastic bag for 30 days. Wash all of the bedding in hot water with bleach or bleach for colors. Make sure that you take the Vaccum and competely vaccum her bed and all of the furniature.
    Good Luck.
    zacharysmommie2

Answer by zacharysmommie2 at 3:02 PM on May. 25, 2009

• my dd's family has had a chronic reinfestation for about five months now. The school has sent kids home like crazy. I wonder if conditions are such that these creatures are thriving and going nuts! (the lice, not my grandkids!)

Answer by admckenzie at 6:09 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Tell your friend to clean her house, and shave her daughter head, tell the school and MOVE!
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 10:38 PM on May. 25, 2009