Kids and theirs parts

How do you explain your body parts to your three year old when I tell him to call them private parts he says no mommie your wrong Its a penis/ wee wee but I don't want him in public saying that. and now he's starting to play with it.......

mommy1572905

Asked by mommy1572905 at 11:52 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to explain to him that yes that is what is is called and he is right but he is not to announce it out in public. Pick a name for it and use it if your not comfortable with him saying penis. Someone taught him the word and it is the technical term for it. The playing with it is normal and just tell him to let it go or leave it alone. The more you let him do it the more the will do it but its normal. He has learned its there and that it can do things so be prepared for him to say things like mommy it gets big or it feels good. Just remind him that its not a play toy and to leave it alone.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:55 AM on May. 25, 2009

• My son is 3... He says it's his dong. I see nothing wrong with that. I always hated the "private Parts" terminology. Like it's something dirty to have them... They are just body parts like a leg or head... No shame in calling them what they are...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:06 PM on May. 25, 2009

• We've always used correct terminology with our son, he knew his privates as Penis for as long as I can remember, and get used to him playing with it, they never stop lolo. Just gently tell him that, that is something he does in private
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:15 PM on May. 25, 2009

• welcome to being the mom of a toddler! just keep telling them what you want and they will eventually catch on- until then, just smile and get through it!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 1:36 PM on May. 25, 2009

• playing with it is normal. Just inform him that he can only do that in the bathroom. Its normal for them to be curios.

I personally don't get calling them "private parts"... even if he says that in public everyone still knows that he is talking about his penis. I have never had my boys scream penis out in public, yet that is the only thing we have every called it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:44 PM on May. 25, 2009