my month old son seems to be having a little trouble pooping. I'm currently breast-feeding and formula feeding(soy). i've done the knee pumps, and stimulated his rectum with a Qtip and vaseline..but none of which seems to be working. this has been an on going battle for maybe a week now.. what can i do, any advice?

coconut_scenes

Asked by coconut_scenes at 12:00 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cut back on the formula for atleast a few days and nurse extra or give extra BM you have pumped...BM is the best when it comes to getting them to go...formula has synthetic iron which is badly absorbed and causes constipation...kinda like your prenatals could have to you..

Oh and if hes not acting like hes in pain then maybe hes not Bf babies tend to poop less, but when they do its easier to go...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:02 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't worry if he's only straining....babies that young don't have control over their internal sphincter and it seems as if they are struggling when in reality they just don't know how to work it....my DD would get red and push and push and she's Breastfed....and also breastfed babies can go for days or poop 10 times a day...it just varies with breastmilk....If you CAN just try breastfeeding for a while and see if it doesn't help =) Good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:08 PM on May. 25, 2009

• My point was....if she's straining it doesn't necessarily mean she's constipated. sorry, hope it made sense:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:09 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Formula can be really constipating. It would be great if you can pump enough to feed him when you are unable to breastfeed.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:10 PM on May. 25, 2009

• stick a thermometer in the bum. like youre taking the temp. or you can get laxtives for kids, my dds pedi told me to put just a quarter or smaller amount into her bum and that will help. but what i did was just leave it whole put it in and use it like a themometer,i didnt put in it and leave it there i stuck the tip in her bum and wiggled it just a tiny bit and that always helped. i also gave her apple juice half and ounce with half an ounce of water. the pedi said it was ok so i figured it was worth a shot.
    Anonymous

• my daughters dr said taht as funny as it sounds some babies haave a hard time learning how to poop nd sometimes can "forget" how to . she also said that it is normal for them to not go for a couple days and once a day is just fine
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:29 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Leave that poor kid alone...sticking foreign objects into his rectum, etc...babies don't poop every day. The IRON in the formula is constipating, NOT the formula itself.
    Anonymous

• Soy formula causes constipation. Try switching to a reduced lactose instead of soy.
    Anonymous

• It could be the difference in the type of feedings he gets. There's a BIG difference between breast milk and soy formula. With that said, babies don't always poop everyday. Formula fed babies can go several days and breast fed babies can go a week or more without pooping.

If you're absolutely certain that he's constipated, you can put a tsp of Karo brand corn syrup in his bottle to loosen him up.
    Anonymous

• Soy formula CAN cause constipation, it does not always. My son was on it to help relieve constipation and it worked very well.

Stop stimulating his rectum. It can do more harm and eventually those muscles will be unable to work properly.

Call your doctor if he's having that much trouble.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:02 PM on May. 25, 2009