How can I get my sister-n-law to stop picking her 6 month old up by her hands?!?!?

My sister-n-law always grabs her 6 month old daughter by the hands and lifts her up! She picks her up out of the carseat like that! I told her that she shouldn't do that because their little elbows or shoulders could pop right out of the socket. I have also read that it's more common for it to happen to little girls. She said she wouldn't do it again, but the other day I saw her doing it again!!! For the sake of the baby I would like to tell her why not to do it...anybody know what I could say to her?? Has this ever happened to you??

mamie2shoes

Asked by mamie2shoes at 12:18 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would tell her again and again and again !!! And I would give her some articles on WHY she should never do it. I don't understand people saying you should butt out, it's the baby who will suffer.
    Yes, that's right...the poor baby will suffer and that's why you should NOT butt out !!!!!!!!!!!

Do some research and find whatever you can and then don't hestitate to give it to her, and give it to your brother too !
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 3:09 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I would personally let your SIL take care of her child the way she wants too. I seriously doubt this is the way she does it all the time. Don't give advice unless it's asked for.
    Anonymous

• My mom accidently dislocated my shoulder by doing that. I was too young to remember, but after that day, she NEVER attempted to do that again. I guess your sil will have to learn on her own. Poor baby.........
    Anonymous

• You already warned her about the problem...leave it alone.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the PPs. You have warned her, there is not much else you can do. Sadly it is the baby who will suffer. :(
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:49 PM on May. 25, 2009

• You already told her. Butt out.
    Anonymous

• You already told her about it. If she thinks you're lying you could email her a news story of it happening but in the end she probably still wont care.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 1:40 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Wow, anons are especially rude today, but I imagine they are all the same rude )(&(&^*(&^.

Anyway OP, you have told her and she isn't listening. Apart from showing her some article, which she still may ignore, there is really nothing else you can do.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:41 PM on May. 25, 2009

• There isnt much you can do you've already told her that its bad but it looks like she is just going to have to figure it out herself and sadly the baby will end up being the one to suffer
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:22 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Shes your sil tell your BIL and just say your concerned...my dh and his dad dislocated his sisters arm by doing that, I would find a video and show it to her
    Anonymous