How do i get my 6 year old to stay in bed at night?

my 6 year old gets up at night and gets into things. Last night for example he got into pie and milk, broke a train set and messed up my computer. I dont know what to do. He is to quiet for me to hear when i am sleeping and i cant just go without sleep.....Somebody please help me

jesslab82

Asked by jesslab82 at 12:18 PM on May. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My immediate question is why is he waking up at night? Since he is having broken sleep, is he getting enough sleep? What have you tried? Have you adjusted his bed time?
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 12:21 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Set a bunch of empty cans or pots outside his door, so the noise wakes you.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:22 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Is he sleepwalking? If not, and you've explored other avenues, you may have to latch his door.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 12:55 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Try running him more during the day. My kids use to wake up at night when they did not get enough running around during the day. If you can, buy a trampoline- they will sleep like crazy after spending time jumping!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 1:34 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Spank his defiant butt whenever he gets out of bed, and make him do extra chores around the house to pay for the stuff he broke whenever he got out of bed.
    Anonymous

• I agree with rkoloms, if not that then maybe a loud door chime that goes off when the door opens.
    Anonymous

• I love the door chim, I wish i would of thought of that! try taking away toys and keeping certain things locked up. My son gets up early and my husbend will make him go back to bed. If he doesn't then, I make him watch the news. He really doesn't like it when I do that!
    jayjulmommy

Answer by jayjulmommy at 7:15 PM on May. 25, 2009

• If you are upstairs, then keep a babygate at the top of the stairs so he can't go downstairs. This will allow him to still have access to your room and the bathroom if necessary.

If it is one level, then put a baby gate at the end of the hall so he can still have access to those two necessary rooms but not get into mischief.
    Anonymous

• So mom come back and tell us about his sleep habits, bedtime routine, etc.
    I'd first be concerned about WHY he is unable to sleep through the night before suggesting solutions.
    However, it should be made crystal clear to him that eating and touching the computer if he IS awake is complete unacceptable and will result in some severe consequences.

He should know if he DOES wake up he may: go to the bathroom then return to his room where he may read and that's ALL.

Please don't latch the door on him - that's a fire hazard waiting to happen.

In the meantime, setting up someway to hear him (like the wireless chime) is a good idea
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 9:23 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Ok i'm not sure if this is how i give more info or not but i am hoping it is...lol....sorry i'm new. I have tried later bedtimes, i have tried grounding him, At my house i have extra locks on the doors because he has even gotten up and went outside in the night. When i am at another place i lock him in the room with me which he climbs up and undoes the lock. He has been grounded, and his allowance taken to fix the things he breaks....when asked why he does these things when he has been told not to he says i dont know i just do. I am so scared that he will end up hurting himself or going outside and getting lost or kidnapped..among other worries of course. During the day he goes to school and runs himself ragged to the point of wanting to sleep when he gets home but i dont let him anymore. This started about a year ago, and has just steadily gotten worse although nothing in his routine has changed except his age.
    jesslab82

Answer by jesslab82 at 11:19 PM on May. 25, 2009