Spitting up, is this common when breastfeeding. My baby spits up a lot and continues spitting up an hour after feeding. What should I do?

richar27610

Asked by richar27610 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My second son had reflux and spit up alot. The pediatrician told me to pump my milk and put it in a bottle with cereal but I didn't feel comfortable with that so this is what we did and it improved by about 75%: Put a phone book under the head of the crib to prop his head up. Propped him up in his bouncy seat or car seat for 30 minutes after feeding. I didn't lay him on his tummy for about 45 minutes after feeding him. Breastfeeding is the best thing for reflux, what better food for baby's tummy than mommy's milk? As I said, when we tried these techniques, David's spitting up improved about 75%, he went from spitting up 8 times a day, to spitting up about 3 times a day. He outgrew it altogether when he was about 6 months.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Perhaps it is something you are eating? My middle son every know and then would SCREAM for hours...i figured out it was after I ate onions. Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Spitting up is very common. As long as your baby isn't in pain when he's doing it and continues to gain weight, any ped would tell you that it's normal. I agree with answer #1 - keep baby upright for a half hour after eating and make sure that his body is angled at least 30 degrees while BF.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my baby did that 2,my doctor said as long as he is gaining weight he's fine!
    kimsboys

Answer by kimsboys at 1:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2008