any suggestions on how to give an 8 month old baby a breathing treatment?

doctor prescribed breathing treatment for my 8 month old son and he hates it i want to know if anybody knows what to do to keep him calm or at least comfortable while giving it to him.

babigil

Asked by babigil at 1:33 PM on May. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• do it when he is asleep. he will breathe it in and not even know it. i did it with my daughter. just hold it up to his nose. it works great!!!
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 1:45 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I used to have to give them to my little patients all the time. If they are given enough they will come to understand that they make them feel better. I have been asthmatic all my life and spend a few weeks a year doing them around the clock on myself. Just be patient it can be very scary for a child that young.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:47 PM on May. 25, 2009

• We had trouble getting our ds to take it too. We would put on his favorite movie and have him do it while he watced. Worked everytime.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:51 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I was told to just hold it in front of his face so he was at least breathing some of the steam. Some is better than nothing.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:12 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I put my dd in the highchair so she can't pull away or fight too much. Then hold the adult breathing tube (not the mask) in front of her mouth/nose. That way I could move with her easily, too. she didn't like the mask or too close to her face.
    Anonymous

• We have used both the mask & tube. The tube is easier to use, especially if you're going to use it when they are sleeping. However it could wake him up and put them in a bad mood. We currently use the mask more often. The nurses told us we could keep his pacifier in during the treatment. He's still breathing the medication in, and usually doesn't fight as much. Plus I grab some books he can look at so that diverts his attention too.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 3:33 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Try distracting him with something he is attracted to and only do it when it's time for a treatment. It's a battle and of course, what's to like? It may just be something to endure for it's benefit. Sing a song or two to distract yourslef. It's hard for you to.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 4:29 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Do it while they sleep.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:39 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I had to use a nebulizer (guessing thats what you have) on my oldest, when he was a baby. It's best to do it when they are sleeping, but if you have to do it when he's awake just hold him. There really isn't a comforting way, other than that. Just remember your doing what is best for him. Do you use a mask, or blow it in his face? I never used the mask, and after a few minutes he got used to it blowing in his face.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 5:36 PM on May. 25, 2009

• So, I'm completely against baby tv, except here. Let your poor little guy zone out to a screen saver or a video or something. He must feel awful. One of my friends had to give them to her baby, and they were both miserable. This worked well for her. So sorry you are going through this!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:18 PM on May. 25, 2009