My daughter is 10.5 months and pretty much refusing to drink her bottle.

She'll drink in the morning and at night, but during the day . . forget it. Has this happened to you? How did you handle it? She won't drink water either.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 1:37 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have two choices: you can try to keep giving her at least 16 oz of formula per day for at least another 1.5 months (when she turns a year old), or you can begin supplementing her formula with cow's milk. If your child is already eating dairy (like cheese, yogurt, etc), and she shows no signs of allergic reaction), then beginning milk at her age shouldn't be a problem. But I would only supplement with the cow's milk...babies need the formula until 12 months of age.

My 11 month old is doing the same thing, but I'm going to hang in there until she turns a year old. She's very small for her age, and the formula has more nutrients than the cow's milk.

Good luck!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:53 PM on May. 25, 2009

• try switching to a sippy cup. It sounds like she is trying to self wean from the bottle. Just keep offering her the fluids in a sippy and she will eventually take to it. Good luck. Breaking the bottle won't be a huge battle for you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:45 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Well, she won't take a sippy either. I guess I will just keep trying. She still doesn't hold her own bottle.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:51 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Get her the sippy cup with the handles on the sides. It's easy for them t use. She should be able to hold it. feed her cereal with milk at each meal with the other food. Alot of babies stop wanting milk around that age. Don't give her juice or sweet drinks, only milk or water. You might want to call the pedi for advice on how much milk they should have at that age.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:25 PM on May. 25, 2009

• She won't drink water. She pushes it away. It never really made a difference to me, because she was still drinking her bottles. Now, she is pushing the bottle away. She already has 6 different types of sippy cups and she won't use any of them. Two have handles, one of them have a soft spout, another one has a nipple like spout, still nothing. I don't know what to do. She doesn't get juice now, but I may start giving her some watered down juice so that she will drink something.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:31 PM on May. 25, 2009

• can she use a straw yet? try a sippy with a staw like top or just forgo all all the baby cups and work with her on an adult cup
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 3:05 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Itsmesteph...are you talking about giving her formula with cereal, or cows milk? My pedi said absolutely no cows milk till she's a year!
    Anonymous