What age did you stop letting your opposite gender child see you naked?

I have a two year old and DH thinks he is to old to see us naked anymore *nothing perverted, but showering together, changing, etc* He thinks that it is possible for DS to have memories of us being naked this young.

Any thoughts? When did you start 'covering up'?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 1:37 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Whether you think he is right or wrong, yield to your husband's wishes. If you felt that way about your daughter, wouldn't you feel better if your husband was considerate of your feelings?
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 3:59 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I don't think that there is any shame in letting your child see you naked. I have a friend who's three year old still sees her naked on occasion. You don't want your child to feel ashamed of their naked body. When a child feels uncomfortable seeing their parents naked is when it is time to make sure all the doors are closed.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:44 PM on May. 25, 2009

• idk my dd is 9 and ds is 6 and I still don't care they see me naked. They don't mine they still run around the house naked. I just don't make a big deal over it. To me being naked is nothing to be ashamed about. They will decide when enough is enough. I will post anon due to the bashing I may get not because I am ashamed.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon:05...
    We don't make a big deal about nudity. While I don't parade around naked, I sometimes walk from the bathroom to the dryer in my bra and panties. Or I will sometimes go to get something while wearing a shirt and panties. I don't think it is a big deal. My boys are 10, three, and 16 months. I did stop letting my oldest stop seeing me naked when he was about four.
    Anonymous

• WHY IS THIS NOT A PROBLEM FOR SOME OF YOU?
    I feel that this is very inappropriate for any child to see his/her parent or any other adult naked. Haven't you heard of respecting your body? What happens when they feel it's ok when a stranger shows them their private parts and they come up missing because they felt that mommy said it was ok?
    Anonymous

• Anon @ 11:05.
    While my child has seen me naked he is well versed in what is o.k. According to your logic, i shouldn't feed my child either incase a stranger pulls up and offers him candy.

At this age my child is never out alone. I would never allow something like that to happen, and I do not feel that those actions stem from him seeing me naked while in the shower.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:10 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Anon @ 1:05

I think you're being a little bit overdramatic here. Let's not underestimate our children, they have the capacity to understand what's OK and what's not OK. Ethans momma is right. SO I shouldn't hug and kiss my kids because some stranger may do the same?
    Personally, by now I don't let neither my 5 y/o or my 3 y/o to see me naked. I don't feel comfortable with it, especially my 5 year old is at an age where he's curious and he's starting to notice that boys have pee pees and girls don't. I don't have a problem with teaching him about it, but I don't see how flashing my boobs will make for a better lesson.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:16 PM on May. 25, 2009

• You people are so uptight. Just because my children see me naked means they are going to grow up to be pedophiles and rapist. Does this mean my children don't know the difference between right and wrong. It's just skin. They know boys and girls are different what's the big deal. They also know when not home they must respect other people who don't see nudity as being normal. We don't parade around my house naked we just don't lock our doors. To me a lock door symbolizes secrecy. We are open in our house no secrets.

Anonymous

• I stopped taking showers with my oldest when he was 3 1/2 and told me I had beautiful nipples because it made "ME" feel weird. I still get caught getting changed periodically, (he's 4 1/2 now) but he just looks at me star struck and tells me how beautiful I am. I do try not to let it happen because of the wierd factor on my part, but we have a small house with an open door policy.
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 5:16 PM on May. 25, 2009

• All families are different. We stopped around age 2 with our kids, but I know people who have no problem with it into the tween years. I think if your husband is uncomfortable with it then it is probably time it stops in your family. In the end what works for your family is what is important.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 5:56 PM on May. 25, 2009