If the schools knew your middle school child was having a homosexual relationship would you expect them to inform you?

Do you think the school should interfere when they are aware of things going on in the kids’ personal lives?

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 1:48 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• No- if schools were to inform parents of relationships it would have to be ALL relationships and they would need several full time employees to call parents all day- middle schoolers are BF/GF one minute and not the next. There should be no distinction between hetrosexual and homosexual as far as school getting involved.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:37 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Personally I don't think my child's dating life is any of her school's business.
    I would hope my child would feel comfortable telling me these things herself.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 1:57 PM on May. 25, 2009

• It's not their place to interfere.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 1:59 PM on May. 25, 2009

• The school shouldn't have anything to do with that, the parents should.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 2:02 PM on May. 25, 2009

• No. ...i wouldnt expect the school to inform me if my child were having a heterosexual relationship so why would i expect to be informed if the relationship is homosexual?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:06 PM on May. 25, 2009

• No, they probly think the parents know about any relationship they are in.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:12 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I don't think the school should interfere at all unless it is disturbing the child's education.. I just graduated in 2008 and there were younger females in the bathroom in a stall having oral sex (one girl standing on the toilet and you could see her above the stall and the other girl was I am assuming facing the toilet based on the position of her feet.). but these girls should have been in class instead of doing what they were doing.. that's when I think the school should interfere
    Anonymous

• If a child is doing anything inappropriate at school in any way the school should contact the parents. However, if nothing inappropriate is happening on school grounds then it is none of the schools business. It is inappropriate for students to "make out" in a hallway, no matter what their gender, so the parents should be called. But if they have done nothing wrong at the school then the school should keep out of it.

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 3:44 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Thanks ladies. I have two female students who are dating and another parent found out and wanted me to call their moms. I didn't do it, but wanted to know what other moms expectations would be.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 3:53 PM on May. 25, 2009

• No, it's none of the school's business unless the girls are making out in the hallways or something disruptive, whether it's homosexual or heterosexual.
    anita73

Answer by anita73 at 4:06 PM on May. 25, 2009