My 4 1/2 yr old son will not poop in the potty ?

any ideas ? he is bipolar and ADHD and was just put on meds about 1 mo ago for the bipolar...but he just pees/poops in his undies and thinks its funny when we get on him for doing so...

doodlemoore812

Asked by doodlemoore812 at 1:59 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter was the same way. She would pee in the potty, but not poop. We put pullups on her at night before bed and she would wait until then to poop, because she didn't want to poop in the potty but she didn't want to in her panties either. So to break her of it we took her favorite toy away. Believe me we tried EVERYTHING else first, so nobody tell me I am mean. But she has this snoopy doll that she takes everywhere and has to sleep with, so when she pooped in the pull up snoopy was put up for the night and all next day. She went maybe 3 nights without snoopy and never pooped in the pull up again. She was about 4 years and 3 months at that time. Then a couple months later we to no more pull ups for bed, that was about 6 months ago and she has only wet the bed twice. Which both times were her daddy's fault for giving her drink too close to bed. But it worked for her.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 2:08 PM on May. 25, 2009

• You should consult your pediatrician and seek referal to a specialist (both a psychologic and a neurologist if you can).

Have you gotten him into therapy of any kind? Play therapy can be VERY good for young children with ADHD.

Isn't he aweful young to be diagnosed with Bipolar though? At the age of 4.5 most of the diagnostic criteria for Bipolar disorder can't be distinguished or could be symptomatic of the ADHD.

This could also be a side effect of his medication dependant on what he's taking.
    Anonymous

• I feel your pain. I have a son about to be 4 and he wont poop in the potty either!! grrr. it is aggravating
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 2:31 PM on May. 25, 2009