what age is right for a baby to start swimming?

I am due in August with my first and I was just wondering how old a child should be before you start playing with them in the water..

please no bashing or rude comments

SweetPea102689

Asked by SweetPea102689 at 2:42 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Look at your local YMCA. I'm not sure the age but they have a baby and me class. I want to say that they start at 3 months. It's good to introduce them early :)
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:45 PM on May. 25, 2009

• If you are meaning in a pool, I would say wait until they are six months because before that they have a hard time maintaining their body temp.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:47 PM on May. 25, 2009

• And just wanted to add that my mom took me to those classes when I was little and it taught me to hold my breath in water. When I was 3 I used to do somersaults into the irrigation ditch and one time went under the driveway and out the other side. Without those classes I may have died.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:47 PM on May. 25, 2009

• It is good to introduce them early. And although i dont recomend this, infants already know how to swim. It's a natural instinct for them to kick their legs and swing their arms when they are in water. ...of course they cant lift there heads so it doesnt last long.
    In any case, good luck.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:48 PM on May. 25, 2009

• My daughter went swimming at 7 months and LOVED it.. She could have gone way earlier but you will know as a mommy.. every baby is different.. some babies hate the water and some babies love it.. also some babies may hate baths at first and then grow to love the water.. just see how bathtime goes and you will know if they are ready to go swimming.. ALSO, dont take your baby in a freezing cold pool or lake etc.. it is bad for your baby because they dont know whats coming and their bodies cant regulate temperature like adults can. i took my baby to an indoor heated pool that was fairly warm and slowly brought her in while holding her tight so she'd stay warm
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 3:04 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I agree, it's good to introduce them early. My dad used to teach swimming at our local YMCA and I was in the pool by 9 months. My son is going to be 1 next weekend and we'll be going to the pool a lot this summer so he can get used to the water. I'd love to take some swim classes with him too. We live in MI, and are avid boaters, so it's a necessity for our kids to know how to swim.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 3:24 PM on May. 25, 2009

• YMCA mommy and me swim lessons start at 6 months
    Mom2SKMB

Answer by Mom2SKMB at 3:33 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I lived in Ga when my daughter was born and we went swimming together about 1 month, the water wasnt cold and we werent in it very long. Now we are in FL and we have been in the pool since she was 8 months and she enjoys it very much. So it does depend on your baby(if she likes water) and where you go. I am sure the YMCA does have something too. I also know a couple indoor pools wont let the child get in the water unless potty trained.
    Proudmama0887

Answer by Proudmama0887 at 4:04 PM on May. 25, 2009

• If its a pool i would wait for 6 months. We live in the Caribbean and we take our kids to the ocean at a very young age, my son was two weeks old and my daughter was 6 weeks old.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:29 PM on May. 25, 2009