Why is it that ppl freak out about a little fever?

I dont mean a fever of 104. ...that's something to worry about. But why do people freak out if the fever is 99 or even 101. ...Dont ppl realize that letting a low grade fever fun its course is exactly what the body is supposed to do? A fever, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. I'm not saying a low grade fever shouldnt be watched either. It doesnt take long for a fever to spike. But why is it that a child gets a fever and everyone wants to pump them full of motrin or Tyelenol?

Has the general public forgotten how are bodies are supposed to function? Is it not realized that by reducing the fever you may actually be prolonging the illenss that caused the fever in the first place because you arnt letting the body heat up to kill it off?
Please, i'm not trying to bash. first time moms have to learn some how. But this is common eve n for modern mothers iwth multiple children. What's going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i dont give medicine to my daughter unless she tells me shes not feeling good..even when she just has a cold, she toughs it out..for the most part..i do give it to her at night to help her sleep better, but during the day no, it doesnt really affect her..lol..shes still the same hyper, outgoin lil girl..plus druggin the kids up with medicine is never gonna help their bodies build up an immunity towards them,,
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:47 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Are you a doctor?
    Anonymous

• I agree. I am still amazed at people who take their kids to the ER for a fever of 99 lol.
    Anonymous

• Haha. I totally agree. the day care sent my daughter home with a 'red eye' and temp of 100.8. I took her to the doctor just so i could use it against them if they tried to do it again (this was the second time!). 1. it wasn't pink eye, she was either hit or had a bug bite and had been rubbing her eye turning it red. 2. and what what really got me -- the temp was gone by the time I got there. Doc said they don't even consider it a real temp until 101.4 or higher. Anything else is a low grade temp and they don't treat it! Ugg, why can't the day care understand that. I think most of the time, the make the mistake of taking my dd's temp when she's crying and get a false temp. Now that we made such a big stink, they know to wait 10 minutes and take it again before even considering calling me!
    Anonymous

• i dont give meds fopr a temp unless its 101.5 or higher.. unless they are in pain as well... then i will but not for the fever....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:09 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Because I didn't have a parent's manual shot out with my child when I gave birth to him....
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:12 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Coming from a parent whose child is in daycare, I'd much rather they send a child home with a low grade fever then keep them there to potentially contaminate the environment and get others sick. My son just had a low grade fever and we had to come pick him up. I wasn't upset at the daycare, it is a rule that you're child cannot be in the center if they have a fever over 100 degrees. I didn't want other kids to get sick, especially since it's a holiday weekend, so I brought him home. I did take him into the doctor but only because I thought he may have an ear infection too (he's had many in his short 1 year of life), but he didn't, just a cold. I did give him Tylenol to help ease his pain.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 3:22 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Maybe it's because they are new parents and they get worried about elevated temps in a helpless baby???

Why do you care so much??
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:55 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I freak because the only time mine have a fever, of over 100, is when they have an ear infxn, or as of late, freakin strep throat. So, I freak a bit.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 4:10 PM on May. 25, 2009

• did ppl misread my question? i said low grade? and i didnt mention anything about childcare. I just wanted to know why ppl think it's necessary to drug up a kid when they have a small fever.
    Fallaya. I care because i asked a question the other day in regards to my sons low grade fever and everyone told me to give him tylenol or motrin. ...i was like "uh. ...it's only 99"
    Anonymous