Just started potty training, and she only wants to play!

My daughter, who just turned two on May 20, has started potty training. I bought a seat that fits on the regular toilet, and passively introduced it to her. Well now she's obsessed with it - which is good, to a certain extent... but it's every five minutes! I taught her the sign language for 'potty' and now I swear that's all she does!

I'm trying to be very positive with her about being such a big girl and going on the potty, but it is frustrating to me when she literally has just flushed the toilet and washed her hands and shows me the sign AGAIN! Most of the time I feel she just wants to play with the toilet paper and throw it in the potty, but she has also gone pee/poo in the toilet, too!

Am I just being unrealistic? How do I get her to show me 'potty' only when she actually has to go?

weezer_cookie

Asked by weezer_cookie at 3:34 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ha ha, welcome to potty training! At least your LO will go on the potty. My little guy, 26 months, loves to go through the motions. ALOT! But won't actually go potty on it. That drives me nuts!!! Just give it time! The novelty will wear off and the frequent potty visits will die down. Just be happy she has so much interest in it!
    xraydri

Answer by xraydri at 3:57 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Thanks! And I agree, at least she is going on the potty!
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 8:28 PM on May. 25, 2009