could be autism signs?

My 9 months 2 weeks bb (8 months adj age) is not babling yet, he coos and makes some jigles but not babling, he follows objects, sometimes he answers his name, others nop, he keeps the eye contact for 10 seconds or less and them looks other things, he looks for me when he follows down because he starts crawling, he is not pointing yet, no waves bye-bye , he follows his brother and laughs with him, sometimes when you talk to him he pays attention, some other nop, he smiles you . We do not have ceiling fan at home, and the other day we went to my friend house and his ceiling fun was turning on, and he started looking the ceiling fun for 5 seconds, the looked other thing, the come back to the ceiling fun, he did it almost 10 times and them i think he forgot it...i do not if those could be autism signs, my doctor said that he is delay because his preemie condition but i would love to have some mom experiences and opinions, thank y

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine refused to talk until she was about 12 months old. Some kids are quiet.
    If your doctor says it's just delay I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Have you had him screened for hearing problems?
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 3:53 PM on May. 25, 2009

• He sounds like a curious active 9 month old to me =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:06 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Sounds typical to me. It's VERY difficult to diagnose autism at this age and it would have to be EXTREME to be diagnosed this early.

He's 6 weeks behind. You have to remember that with everything about him. He is expected to act as an 8 month old would...not a 9 1/2 month old. I had to adjust the age of my youngest by four weeks until he was 2. He has a severe speech delay, in speech therapy, and is not autistic...so just because he's behind in speech doesn't mean it's autism.

The ceiling fan...autistics tend to have their attention drawn to spinning objects and you can't break or it is difficult to break the attention. They can't be redirected that easy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:18 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I think you along with other new moms including myself are paranoid about this vaccination/autism link. Our Dr.'s have reassured us that there is nothing to worry about. Our babies are getting vaccinations the same times we did and look how many of us are fine. Autism is hard to diagnose this early in a childs life anyway. All children are mesmerized by bright colors, ceiling fans and have a short attention span, alway on the go and discovering new things. Just enjoy these fun times while they are little b/c the time goes by way too fast! I know that's what I am doing, my daughter is 9 1/2 mo. also.
    Anonymous