How long until baby sleeps through the night?

New mommy here. Just wondering how long until your baby slept throughout the night. My baby is only 2 weeks old and sleeps for three hours and is awake for two-four. Im hoping by 3-6 months she will be sleeping longer at night. Is this unrealistic?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 3:56 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sons slept through at 6 weeks, 8 weeks and 14 weeks. I don't know that it had anything to do with it,but they were HUGE eaters taking 8oz every 2-3 hours, they had pacifiers, they went down about 9 each night and woke around 5-6am. I held them, rocked them as they took their last bottle then put them in their crib and walked out shutting the door behind me.

Oh, and they slept on their tummies.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:10 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Every child is different. My 1st one it took her till she was 9mths. My 2nd one slept through the night at 3 mths. My 3rd one started to sleep through the night at 1 month. My last one is still baking in the oven.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 3:58 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I slept through the night as a newborn, so it's pretty much different for every baby.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 4:00 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Did you do anything diffrent with them? For example, was one baby on breastmilk, another on formula? Is there any routine that you followed?
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 4:01 PM on May. 25, 2009

• both my kids slept around 10 hours a night by the time they were 3 months old. They were both about 6-8 weeks when they started those stretches
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:13 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Mine didn't sleep through the night until she was 2 years old!
    They're all differant.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 4:18 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Agreed that they are all different. My daughter slept 5-6 hours at a stretch as a newborn and it just got better. My oldest I don't think has ever slept through the night in his life, but by the time he was 3 or 4 he had learned to stay in bed and be quiet at night. Just sleep when your baby sleeps, and get into a good bedtime routine now so the routine is familiar and helps get the baby to sleep at night.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:52 PM on May. 25, 2009

• It's not unrealistic for your baby to be doing better, lots better (i.e. longer stretches) by 3-6 months. If your baby is up for long periods during the night, be sure the room is really dark. Feed your baby, change diaper if needed, but keep nighttime all business -- don't talk to your baby or play. So while your baby will likely need to eat at night for quite some time, you can keep it to the 15-45 minutes it takes to nurse (I say that because it was 45 for my first, 15 with my second). You should start seeing a longer stretch (4-5 hours) at the beginning of the night by about 8 weeks. If you're not seeing that, you can try offering a pacifier or cuddling baby back to sleep at the first wake-up of the night. (I'm NOT saying refuse milk and let her cry it out or anything -- just offer alternatives and see if it helps extend that first stretch). Baby should keep extending that first stretch on her own...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:03 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Oh my baby was turned around for the first 3 months. Slept during the day, and then was awake all night. My husband told me to put Oatmeal in his bottle (cause he needs more food, he's a big boy) and I was not happy doing that, but I gave in and I'm not kidding you, he started sleeping through the night when we fed him his night time bottle with Oatmeal in it. I mean like 9-11 hours!!! It was great! For both baby and Mommy!!
    Karebeer2

Answer by Karebeer2 at 5:45 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Five hours is considered sleeping through the night. Some achieve that in the frist two months, some don't for the whole first year, no matter what you do. *Expect* not to get a full night's sleep. It *can* happen but often doesn't.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:58 PM on May. 25, 2009