Has anyone used gentian violet to cure thrush?

More than once on baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used it once when I was bfing. It stained really bad, and seemed like it took a really long time to work. I had to use lanolin with it.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 4:14 PM on May. 25, 2009

• My baby had thrush 2 months ago. Worked fine within 3 days. My doctor said to rub it in her mouth with a q-tip, morning and nght for 3 days only. It worked great!
    LilStar9905

Answer by LilStar9905 at 4:28 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Yes. After two course of nystantin failed to clear up my daughter's thrush, her doctor said to give it a try. Here are his directions:
    Dress the baby and yourself in something you don't care about - it stains everything.
    Go outside or work over a floor that doesn't matter if it gets stained.
    Use a q-tip to pain the insides of the cheeks, lips, and gums.
    Wait a week.
    If the thrush isn't gone, repeat once.
    If the thrush is still not gone, go to the doctor for tougher drugs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:29 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Yes, I used it after two courses of nystatin didn't work. I consulted a lactation consultant and here's what she told me:

Use a q-tip to coat the inside of baby's mouth, the whole mouth, tongue, gums, everything.
    Then either nurse right away or paint your nipples and surrounding area (anything that is in baby's mouth while nursing).
    Use a fresh q-tip, don't dip the same one back in because it contaminates the GV.
    Do this once a day for 7 days.

It is very, very messy, but it worked like a charm. It is very purple, very dark and baby will drool it everywhere, but it is worth it because it works. But make sure you are treating yourself as well. You can have it and have no symptoms, but keep passing it to baby.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:47 PM on May. 25, 2009

• yes, i have used it twice! this website www.kellymom.com is a lifesaver for everything breastfeeding related. here is their thrush remedy http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html
    and about gentian violet http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html

Good luck!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 6:05 PM on May. 25, 2009