• In the Spotlight:

When is it ok to potty training?

What are the signs to look for to know the child is ready?

Proudmama0887

Asked by Proudmama0887 at 4:12 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I learned that mainly when they can say the word potty, or pee pee, then you can start to potty trained. It varies by age, normally two years old, though maybe a little earlier, depending on your childs vocabulary
    samanthaevans

Answer by samanthaevans at 4:24 PM on May. 25, 2009

• The biggest sign is that your child can go a couple of hours between wet diapers. That means she is capable of holding her pee instead of just constantly going like young babies generally do.
    Other signs:
    Hiding when pooping.
    Trys to follow everyone into the bathroom to see what's going on.
    Pretends to sit on the potty like mommy does.
    Not liking wet or dirty diapers - but remember that newborns don't like them either.
    Able to tell you she wants something with words or signs - but don't rely on your child telling you she must pee. Many never do, many "lie' when asked, many will at first but stop after a week or so.
    Able to work own clothes - helpful but not critical since you will be with her in the bathroom.

You can truly start anytime. The more signs your child shows, the quicker training USUALLY goes. But often, you don't spot the signs until afterward (hindsight is 20/20 as they say!). Just be patient.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:26 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I started my son at 18 months. ...he was done by a year later.
    There is nothing wrong with introducing the concept to the child when they start walking. That just means putting a learning toilet in the bathroom, and encouraging the child every time he/she sits on it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:35 PM on May. 25, 2009

• We started introducing it to our daughter when she started to walk real good. We are at the point now where we will ask her if she has to go when we have to and she will follow us to the bathroom and she will lay down on the floor so that we can get her diaper off. She will sit on the potty for a while until we get up and then look to see if she went. She also started showing the I have to go signs to like pulling at her diaper or trying to get it off by pulling it down. She never did like to be wet. So I guess I would start introducing it to them and from then you should know if they are ready or not. All you can do is keep trying they will do it when they are ready. We are going to stick with diapers or pull ups until my daughter starts going at more of a regular basis. Oh and if she doesnt go then its ok. We just tell her ok big girl we will try next time.
    cassielc84

Answer by cassielc84 at 8:09 PM on May. 25, 2009