If you knew that the majority of recipients were White Woman would this change your opinion about PA?

The majority of the recipients are White (38 percent), followed by 37 percent African Americans, and 25 percent other minority groups (Latinos, Native Americans, and Asian Americans) (McLaughlin, 1997). However, African Americans are disproportionately represented on public assistance because they are only 12 percent of the population (O'Hare, Pollard, Mann, & Kent, 1991).

http://www.apa.org/pi/wpo/myths.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Those statistics still stand according (at least in Maryland) to two contacts I have within the state government.

I don't see why it would change people's minds, but it's always good to learn the truth.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 5:08 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I don't think that anyone will really care. They hate the idea of PA, regardless of who is receiving it, because some people need to feel superior.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 4:53 PM on May. 25, 2009

• You can't mention the W word in cafemom.
    Anonymous

• That link says those statistics are from 1997 - 12yrs ago so they do not mean anything to me........even if it is true that the majority are white women I don't see why that would change anyones minds
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 5:00 PM on May. 25, 2009

• 1991 and 1997? Don't you think your statistics are kinda outta date? It's pretty irrelevant now. Are you doing a paper or something with all these questions?
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 5:07 PM on May. 25, 2009

• And what does the skin color of the recipients of PA have to do with the price of tea in China? If a woman (or a man) needs to feed hungry children, skin color is the LAST thing we ought to be looking at.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 5:15 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I already knew that. White people can be poor too, what is your point?
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 5:28 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I really don't care what color they are.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:32 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Who cares?
    Anonymous

• White peolpe are the majority so of course there would be more of them on assistance, in prison, etc. But I do understand where you are going with this.
    HoneyPot78

Answer by HoneyPot78 at 5:58 PM on May. 25, 2009