those for or against PA...

what kind of work do you do? how much do you make? what is your highest level of education? i'm just curious to see how people's lifestyles affect their views on this topic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• badI think that is really mean saying that SAHM shouldnt be on PA or should get a job. There are a LOT of different reasons for some to have to stay at home and take care of the children instead of working. My aunt has a disabled child that needs special care that she has to do for him. They are on PA and her husband works. I am on wic and still work part time while my husband works full. People need to realize that it isnt easy to get a job like it used to be. Especially in California there are tons of people on unemployment right now. Also there is nothing wrong with a person going to school to try to get a better career! I think some people need to worry about themselves and quit JUDGING OTHERS!!!

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 6:30 PM on May. 25, 2009

• 2 bachelors degrees, Human Resources, and let's just say we are comfortable.
    However, I remember the days of scraping change out of the couch to put gas in the car or buy one more can of formula. And being turned down for WIC because I made at that time $30 a month too much to qualify.
    I don't begrudge anyone using PA. My best friend is a single mom and has terminal cancer. She cannot work a job with all of her treaments. Im glad she gets the assistance to help her - she's someone who really needs it.

dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 5:01 PM on May. 25, 2009

• non of that matters in y someeone doesnt appeove of it do us all a favor and drop all this crap
    Anonymous

• Medical insurance coder cert., High school diploma. Cashier, receptionist, and file clerk. Currently a SAHM, with kidney disease and baby on the way. Hubby gets us by with computer work, but still need assistance. I get insuracne because Im pregnant. If I was not I would not have insurance and my Kidney disease would run its deadly course.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:08 PM on May. 25, 2009

• We make enough to qualify for WIC but don't take it. I can manage WELL on what comes in. Yeah, it's a little work, but we are still able to have some treats and eat out once in a while, and save.

I think the line between "need" and "want" got skewed years ago.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:31 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Me - 1 bachelor's degree and 1 graduate degree (political science). I do not currently work as I have not been able to obtain employment. I am sending out applications and resumes everyday, all over the country and no bites (of course if I did get a bite, I'd have to figure out how to pay for a move).
    My husband - 1 bachelor's degree, 1 master's degree, working on his PhD now. He has a teaching assistantship which pays a monthly paycheck and gives him a tuition waiver (without the waiver we'd never be able to afford the tuition).

I am for public assistance. Though I do wish they would do a better job of making sure illegals weren't getting benefits.
    Anonymous

• I grew up dirt poor, but even then my single mother REFUSED to go on PA! She scrimped and saved and out herself through school becoming a teacher--which was the perfect job for a single mom plus great benefits. She also worked a 2nd or 3rd job for extra cash in order to buy a home. That was in the early 70's.

I grew up NOT wanting to follow in my mother's struggling footsteps, so I worried about my education (Master's), career, and independence 1st, travel and my own home ownership 2nd, marriage 3rd, and children 4th.

Hubby earns enough so that I can be a SAHM (something I really wanted to be since my mother was always working). But when I was working, I earned a healthy 6-figure salary.

I do NOT begrudge those needing assistance for TEMPORARY reasons--I begrudge those who are proud of being able to "beat the system" and collect indefinitely!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:04 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I have my MBA. I made 6 figures in salary alone, not to mention stocks, bonuses, etc. I retired to be a SAHM and now I just help out in my husbands business. He also makes high six figures.

I grew up BROKE in the GHETTO! My mother raised us to work hard and expect nothing from anyone. She ALWAYS worked 2-3 jobs. I was a nerdy white girl in a predominately black high school and got picked on DRASTICALLY. Studied, played sports, and worked. That was my life. I got scholarships (academic and athletic) and used student loans for the rest. I studied my butt off in college, played sports, AND WORKED!!! I got a fantastic job, paid off my loans, started building my retirement portfolio. Met my husband, married, bought a house, and now have a family that I stay at home to take care of. I also support a LOT of my family, my mom, siblings, Grandparents, etc.

I think PA should ONLY be used in time of CRISIS.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 6:14 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I firmly believe that if you ARE ABLE to work, YOU SHOULD. The government is not responsible for supporting you. If you are an abled-bodied SAHM on PA, shame on you. You should be working, like everyone else.
    It also bothers me to hear people working parttime and going to school on PA. Well, quit school and work full time if you can't pay your bills.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 6:17 PM on May. 25, 2009

• {A is fine if needed but shouldn't be abused or used any longer than necessary.

I'm a SAHM since my early 20s. I graduated High School, no college . I have lots of common sense and experience in many fields which "to me" is more important. My oldest daughter and I currently rent out our previous home as a beach summer rental, which was groundbreaking since we don't live on the water but near it. I bring in about 3,000 a month to pay the mortgage and utilities. I helped another family get started doing the same and they are also hugely successful. We think this is pretty cool and rather clever. No brag, just sharing. :)
    CosmicMomma

Answer by CosmicMomma at 6:30 PM on May. 25, 2009