How come I'm not losing weight?

I was eating too much before I found out that I was pregnant, I've been eating a lot less for the past month since I found out (now I'm 8 weeks), and when I do eat it's like an apple, or some fat free yogurt. My question is, is there a reason why I'm staying at the same weight? If I weren't pregnant I know that I would have at least lost five pounds. I'm just trying to be very careful since I gained 45lbs last time and still had about 15lbs to lose when I found out about this pregnancy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you are pregnant dont lose weight intentionally
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:59 PM on May. 25, 2009

• DO NOT DIET WHEN YOU ARE PREGNANT!!!!!!!!!!! You are depriving your baby of the nutrients and fats it needs to grow. Lose weight after.
    Anonymous

• Your body is starving for calories right now. Your body will hold on to what calories you are getting to "feed" the baby. You need EXTRA calories while you are pregnant to nourish the baby. It is dumb to try to lose weight when pregnant because it is not healthy for the baby.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:01 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Do not actively diet, but there is no harm in eating the proper healthy amount while pregnant. I wish I had been able to do that, I would be at least 40lbs lighter now. lol!
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 5:03 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Thanks a and j momma that actually makes sense. I didn't think of it like that.

Oh please, I'm not depriving my baby! I'm eating small meals throughout the day and it just so happens that they're HEALTHY and before I was eating horrible. I was just wondering why when I would usually lose weight, that I'm instead staying the same.
    Anonymous

• Your body won't allow you to lose weight while you're pregnant. Pregnancy causes your body to strive to gain.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 5:28 PM on May. 25, 2009

• All women are different. I always eat less when I'm pregnant because in the beginning I feel like crap and then the baby gets bigger and pushes on my stomach and I just can't eat as much.

I lost 25 with my first and 12 with this baby unintentially. The thing is when you get pregnant you tend to be very careful about nutrition (at least I do) and if you not normally like that (I'll admit I'm not) than your body can react by losing weight.

Some women, however, gain or maintain even with less food because the baby is growing, your gaining breast tissue and fluid plus some women retain a lot of fluid in the beginning. Often this occurs because the women is not drinking enough because she isn't feeling well but it happens to others as well.

If you are having fluid tention lots of water and good exercise will help.
    Anonymous

• You'[re not losing because you are pregnant. That's all.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:10 PM on May. 25, 2009

• It's normally NOT a good thing to lose weight during pregnancy. I lost 15 lbs and I'm not at all happy about it. Thankfully the baby is fine. Your baby is going to be growing at a pretty rapid rate, so you normally won't lose weight while prego.
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 9:23 PM on May. 25, 2009

• There is actually a website you can use to help monitor your calorie intake...I used it with my first child...i believe it was babyfit.com...you could enter whatever you ate for the day and it would help you figure out if the mix of food was providing the right amount of fat, carbs, protein, etc for the baby based on your due date, height and weight...just an idea...
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 9:44 PM on May. 25, 2009