How can I get my daughter to sleep by herself in a one bedroom apt

Hi we live in a 1 bedroom apt untill we can afford a 2 bedroom and after about 4 or 5 hours of sleeping in her bed. She screams her head off till we put her in bed with us. I have tried just laying there till she goes back to sleep, I have given her milk and she still screams. I don't know what to do. I am getting so tired cause I don't get good sleep when she's in bed with us. Please help

Angelgurl20

Asked by Angelgurl20 at 5:08 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Leave the room. When she wakes up crying get out of bed and go sleep on the couch or the floor if you have to. ...It wont help right away. but soon she's going to learn that no matter how much she screams you arnt going to put her in bed with you. It might take only 1 night. It might take a week.
    But not matter what you decide to do stick with it. Dont change it after 2 nights because it's not working. Good luck.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:13 PM on May. 25, 2009

• You may have to give up your bedroom and set up sleeping quarters in the livingroom. I had to do that...I also live in a 1-bedroom apt with my dd. She goes to bed at 7:30pm, and just recently started sleeping thru the night. When I did sleep in the room with her, she would wake up and not want to go back to sleep, which meant very little restful sleep for the both of us. When I started sleeping in the livingroom, she started sleeping better (me too!!).

It's hard to NOT respond to your child's crying, especially when they're in the same room as you! I could never do it...I felt really bad.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:13 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Divide the room with a screen or placing bureaus or other furniture between your bed and hers. Be consistent and firm. No drama. Just you're going to sleep in your own bed, and lead her back without saying anything every time. If you give in even once, it will show her that giving in is a possibility, so be quiet about it, firm, and consistent. To divide the room you can also suspend rods from the ceiling and hang curtains between the two parts, or hang the curtains from the ceiling.

Answer by Bmat at 8:35 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Good idea Bmat! I wanted to try that, but the floor in my apt squeak a lot, as well as my bed, so she wolud automatically know when I'm in the room...I know you're talking to Angelgurl20, but I thought I'd reply anyway!
    Anonymous