How long should an 8 1/2wk old spend breastfeeding per breast?

Currently were doing a maximum of 15 mins per breast and he eats at both in one session. The pediatrician thinks he has a thing for suckling and has warned me against over feeding. (He gained 4lbs in 4 weeks after birth) I'm actually doing a breast and formula combo and he gets upto 3- 4oz bottles in a day. He's eating every 2 hrs during the day. He goes down for 5 hrs at night and then 3 hrs. Is this normal?

jenree

Asked by jenree at 5:25 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i feed my son about 15-20 per side. I supplement with formula and i give him 2 ounces ( that's usually all the formula he gets all day) of formula at night too. I know people say it doesn't make a difference, but I swear both my kids slept better at night when i mixed breast milk and formula together. Don't stress and do what you feel is right.
    BugMom

Answer by BugMom at 12:01 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I breastfed my son i also has a consultant come over and help me with feeding him. She told me that he will let you know when he is full and your breast will fell like mush (sorry for the honesty) this is normal in a few weeks for breast will feel like this all the time but it is normal your are just producing the amount that your boobies need to handle. Also you should be feeding on one breast for atleast 15 mins before switching him to the other side.
    gennymae

Answer by gennymae at 8:11 PM on May. 25, 2009

• also the sleep schedule sounds exactly like my daughters, but she doesn't always get up to eat.
    you're doin great mama
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 7:06 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Dont time him.
    Once he takes himself off, or if you see that he is suckling but not swallowing(just comfort nursing) then it's okay to remove him.
    My daughter will sit on the breast for an hour if I let her, but only eats for 20 tops.

I'd recommend forgetting the formula too, it's going to hurt your supply. If you're able to breastfeed you should do it!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 7:05 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Don't time!
    Also, don't switch boobs. You are NOT going to overfeed a breastfed baby unless he has a medical issue like reflux that makes him eat when he's not hungry (they eat to soothe their burning throats).

Put your baby to ONE boob per feeding, and let him eat until HE'S done. His sleep/eating schedule is entirely normal. In fact, you're getting MORE time between feedings than a lot of woman do. His stomach is TINY.
    Every bottle you give is less milk your boobs make. If you actually want to breastfeed, stop formula feeding.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 6:51 PM on May. 25, 2009

• No timing. Baby stays on side one till he comes off on his own, then switch. Could be five monutes, could be an hour...both are normal.

You CANNOT overfeed at the breast. You CAN overfeed with a bottle, and can negatviely impact your supply.

It's fine if they suckle a lot. Good for supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:59 PM on May. 25, 2009

• i remember mine doing about that. He was only breast fed for the 1st 4 months tho, no formula. He was spending about 20 min a breast. But they say normal weight gain is a 1/2 lb a week i think. So idk. If they are hungry though, you want to feed them, right?
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 5:29 PM on May. 25, 2009