Were you brought up to think that the terms "agnostic" and "atheist" were bad?

I was. My mom always told me my dad was agnostic like it was a bad thing. Too bad I am one now, ha!

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:37 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't even remember hearing those words growing up. It wasn't until I was much older that I learned what an atheist was, and when I did it was a light bulb moment, like "So THAT's what I am!"
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:39 PM on May. 25, 2009

• You know, to be honest, I'd never really heard either term much till I moved to Texas,and began working. I've worked with several Atheists, who are some of the nicest people I know. And, then when I joined Cafe Mom,I learned I'd been really sheltered,because I had no idea how widespread Atheism, Agnostics, and Pagans are. Like I said, I guess I'd been living a sheltered life, but I was shocked it was so widespread. I'm used to it now, and however a person chooses to worship,or not worship is their business. But, to answer your original question, no I'd never been taught they were bad words,and I still don't think they are,and the people who fall under those terms are not bad people,either.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 5:40 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I'm with Julie, never really heard the words much until I was an adult, even though we were atheists.

Stvmen:  Where are you from originally, if you don't mind my asking?  I thought you were from Texas.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:44 PM on May. 25, 2009

• No,actually beeky, I'm from Eastern New Mexico. We moved here from Roswell. Yep,the place the UFO was supposed to have crashed in. I always tell my youngest son he was beamed down to us,cause he was born in Roswell. LOL.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 5:46 PM on May. 25, 2009

• My grandmother (family spiritual matriarch) wouldn't allow words like that to be spoken so I had no clue if they were good or bad. She wouldn't let us play cards either so I doubted her judgment! Everyone has to find what's right for him/her and sometimes go through stages of belief or disbelief. So labels are merely that, labels of stages. If they choose to remain there then that's their choice but as for bad , No not in my opinion

Answer by admckenzie at 5:50 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Oh yea, when I was growing up "atheist' was one of those whispered words when the ladies in our church were talking about people in the neighborhood who did not go to church. I took what they said with a grain of salt.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:04 PM on May. 25, 2009

• My neighbor when I was growing up was agnostic. We were really close to them. I never thought anything about it. My parents told me that we were Christian, but we really weren't yet. I guess it only came up when my neighbors' daughter died. I was a child, but at the funeral her sister was angry and she cussed someone out saying that there is no God, if there was why would he let her sister die. I had never heard anyone talk like that before. I was shocked (not by the cussing, but the no god part).

My mom told me that they are not Christian and it bothered them that everyone was trying to use that faith to comfort them; she explained what they believed. So my mom taught me to be sensitive to people's feelings when it comes to their beliefs. I think it is especially important when you lose a child; I can't imagine how hard that is (no matter what you believe) but if you don't believe in heaven you don't believe in a reunion.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:05 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Never heard of those words till later in life... being hearing impaired... I missed a lot plus it wasnt spoken in our home. It wasnt untill I became a believer at 19 that I heard the word athiest.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:16 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Never knew the terms til I was an adult.
    In fact, I had an idea what an atheist was when I was in my late teens but hadnt known the word agnostic til I joined CafeMom a couple years ago(also the term Deist or Poly-anything LOL).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:20 PM on May. 25, 2009

• No, I think that is bc my mother was a Kitchen Witch herself without a belief in a diety so it wasn't (to us a bad thing) I never knew what agnostic was until I started learning more about paganism and in my readings came across the word and did research on it.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:33 PM on May. 25, 2009