How soon can they have cereal and baby food?

I would like to try to feed my 3 mo old some rice cereal. I am hoping it will help her stay full longer because she is still eating every 2 hours and its rough. Even though she doesn't really do that during the night...I go back to work tomorrow and I'm hoping she will start sleeping thru the night soon instead of waking up at 1 or 2am to eat.

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 6:02 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think 4 months is recommended but i know people who do it before then. If you get that book...what to expect the 1st year....that has helpful stuff about all that.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 6:07 PM on May. 25, 2009

• It used to be six months, but they're now saying that if your child is ready, you can do it at four months.

Maybe try feeding him more at each feeding? There's a tongue-thrust reflex that most babies don't lose until about four months anyway, they push anything foreign out of their mouths.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:08 PM on May. 25, 2009

• *Try feeding HER more. Ack. I dunno why I saw 'him' up there lmao.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:09 PM on May. 25, 2009

• You "can" do it whenever you want to. It's recommended to begin between 4 and 6 months.

Cereal rarely really makes them "fuller". It's a temporary fix and she is likely to wake up more ravenous than before.

She's young yet to be expected to sleep through, to be honest. She should be fed when she's hungry, even if that is every 2 hours. Mine ate every two hours until they started finger and table foods. It's rough, I know...but we do what we must.

When you do start babyfood, her liquid consumption (formula or breastmilk) shouldn't drop. Baby food is only for practice not nutrition.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:30 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I totally agree with TiccledBlue 100%, I could not have said it better myself
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 6:57 PM on May. 25, 2009

• ITA with everything ticcledblue said.
    My daughter eats every 2 hours too. Nurse on demand.(or bottles whatever you're doing lol)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 7:01 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Feeding them more will not make them sleep longer. Their tummies are small, and honestly only built for milk at this point. 4 months at the earliest, but 6 months is safest.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:25 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Multiple studies show that giving baby cereal does NOT make them sleep longer.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:48 PM on May. 25, 2009

• The doctor has my little one on oatmeal in her bottles because of GERD but she is now eating oatmeal out of a bowl with a spoon.
    she is only 2 months.
    mommy2be32509

Answer by mommy2be32509 at 10:37 PM on May. 25, 2009

• my son is almost 4 months, i started him on rice cereal 2 weeks ago. hes doing awesome. if you feel she is ready then give it a try. i use one tablespoon of cereal mixed with an ounce or so of his formula. make it a very thin and watery cereal. good luck.
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 11:01 AM on May. 27, 2009