Children with bad breath

I have two children and when they became teenagers they started having really bad breath. They go to the dentist every six months (the dentist could not find anything wrong, as they don't have cavities, and referred me to their pediatrician) I spoke to the pediatrician and she recommended a gastroenterologist. I have taken them to see one that specializes in children. They did all sorts of tests, but cannot tell me what is going on. I am really concerned for them as their self esteem is really low because of this. Kids are brutal, and have made fun of them. (I have tried different kinds of non-alcohol mouthwashes, from the internet, QVC etc. also tongue scrapers and nothing works. It seems as if the odor is coming from the throat, and not inside the mouth) Any feedback on where else to turn would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I work for a Ear, Nose and Throat specialist and bad breath can be caused from Tonsil Hypertrophy or cryptic tonsils...in other words tonsils that are big or that have like pot holes in them...because it can collect food in the holes and then it causes bad breath. Maybe you should have that checked out. Hope that was helpful info
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 6:05 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I was going to say what angie did. My brother had this problem too. He had his tonsils and his adenoids taken out. It was fine after that.
    Anonymous

• my mom swore that all bad breath was because ppl don't eat enough to poop it out! I have no clue if this is true but see if they are having regular bm's. Many times teens don't eat right or don't eat enough to push old food out. My dd had a problem with her bowels and she started eating nothing but Asian food and she was regular and fine after that. I use jalapenos in my food to make myself regular. See if eating more or cleaning out might be helpful

Answer by admckenzie at 6:06 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I would definitly look at diet: try cutting out animal products for a while and focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Let me know if you would like meal/recipe ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 AM on May. 26, 2009