• In the Spotlight:

Did your toddler wean his or herself?

Does anyone have any stories to share about self weaning. I'm debating over weaning my son soon, or letting him wean himself. I just have a hard time believing he will wean himself. How did your children let you know they were ready and how old were they?

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 6:43 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son decided one day that he no longer wanted to have boobies.He was two in a half.I don't think that I was lazy for letting him chose when he was done getting breast milk.After he turned one he only wanted it when he was sleepy or not felling good.I my not win the parent of the year award,but I think that I'm good parent.I never gave my children a Binky.I don't believe in them.Not all parents,but some just use them as "plugs" to shut their child up when they are crying.That and they can cause the child to have a over bite.Not a big fan of thumb sucking either.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 11:31 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Here's the thing Maureen. You have to be the parent. You cannot take the lazy way out on things. If you don't exhibit control, they will walk all over you. Weaning is a responsible parental way of doing things. A child that weans himself if the product of a lazy parent, too lazy to want to work with the child, instead letting the child do as he wishes. You see them, the child in Walmart, looks about 6 with the darn binky in his mouth. UGH makes me want to scream. Also, you will have to be able to discipline your child as well. So, that requires your interaction as well.
    Anonymous

• eye rollingThanks Anon, I will keep that in mind.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:51 PM on May. 25, 2009

• weaning from what?
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 6:52 PM on May. 25, 2009

• FYI, I have a very well disciplined son with no binky who is very independent. I am not nursing him out of laziness. It would free up some time each night for me to lay around and be lazy if I weren't nursing my child.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:54 PM on May. 25, 2009

• 2cuteboysrmine, from nursing.
    MAUREEN55

• well then that depends on what you want... if i could ahve breastfeed longer i probally would ahve stopped at about 15-16 months..... you can always let him self wean and if he is still nursing and you dont want to nurse any more try to wean him.... but i know that the longer they do it the harder it is to get them weaned.... just like a bottle or a pacifier... good luck though
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 6:58 PM on May. 25, 2009

• my son weaned 3 days after his first bday! I tried to nurse him but he just blew raspberries on my boobs lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:27 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Yes, my toddler self weaned at 14 months. In the meantime, I didn't let her nurse whenever she wanted. Lazy parenting is doing things on your time table without regards to your child. Anon, that would be you.

It is so hard to imagine a toddler weaning themselves, but here's the thing. You don't have to decide to self wean. You could decide to nurse just a while longer, and reassess. It's never all or nothing today, do you know what I mean?

In fact, setting limits on nursing is often one of the first ways that we discipline our children. Do you allow your child to bite you while nursing? Of course not! Teaching her not to bite is discipline. When you have a toddler, you don't let them play with your other breast while nursing. Discipline again.

I think the key is setting limits where you are comfortable. I chose to night wean, for example. You might choose to only nurse at home.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:33 PM on May. 25, 2009

• cont. I honestly didn't notice that she was weaning, until I realized she was only nursing in the morning after climbing in our bed. Then, one day she climbed in bed and played, without asking to nurse. I consider offering it, but decided not to do so. That was really it. She asked a few days later, and I let her, but she didn't latch. She just put her mouth on, then pulled off and said "all done." She did that for a few months. That was my experience with weaning. Had I not been pregnant, I think she might have nursed longer, but I let her decide.

I don't believe that exerting control for the sake of "showing who's in control" ever helps, or teaches the child anything. I was happy with our nursing, as was she. The things I was unhappy with (the night nursings) I chose to set limits on. She chose not to nurse when she didn't want to. It was a mutually good experience for both of us.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:37 PM on May. 25, 2009