I have a 3 yr old daughter. She still wants her blankie at bedtime. Is that okay?

She has loved her blankie since she just little. She likes the tag that is on the blanket. I'm wondering if she has sensory issues cause she takes the tag on the blanket and rubs it on her face until she falls asleep. My other two children never did this. Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Of course it's normal. She's still only little and it's a comfort thing for her. I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with sensory problems. My son will be 10 in June and he still has a blanket he sleeps with at night(he's had it since he was 3) and he's fine. He plays sports and is very well adjusted.
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 7:06 PM on May. 25, 2009

• My daughter is the same way. She won't sleep without her "blankie" and she especially loves the silky side. It's completely normal.
    Anonymous

• my ds is 3 and goes to bed with "henry" every night.. hes a big teddy bear... "henry" has had sugery many times to replace his tag becauce my ds holds it between his fingers at night...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 7:27 PM on May. 25, 2009

• It's normal. She may give up the blankie in a year or two. She may hide it under her pillow when she goes off to college. Both are normal.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:48 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Its so normal my daughter still sleeps with her baby blanket I made her and she's eigth and if you get to thinking about it I bet 99% of adults have something they cant sleep with out, I for one cant get comfortable without and blanket inbetween my legs and one covering me so. LOl anyway just make sure that blankie stays clean and in good condition cause a child deprived of the blankie can be very hard to handle LOL
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 7:51 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Our little one is 3 and not only can't sleep without his 'nite nite' but is still on his thumb. I know, I've heard it before...'it's going to make his teeth crooked' But what about that other little kid that dreams of growing up to be an orthadontist? Who will he work on, I ask you that? lol

DH made the comment once a year or so ago that maybe we should stop him from the thumb sucking (mostly cuz I know his mother had been after him about it) I looked at him and said - oh yes it's a horrible thing for him to stick something into his mouth to help him relieve stress and comfort himself - as DH was lighting a cigarette!! lmao He got my point. On a side note, the thumb sucking only occurs when he's in bed or very upset. You've seen the little ones that can absorb any stress/tension around them? He's one of them.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:37 PM on May. 25, 2009

• My brother is 35 this year and still has his blanky. LOL It's true and we give him hell about it all the time. He went to Spain when he was 17 and the blankie went with him. He did go to college without it. But returned about 2 months after school started to get it. He said that everyone knew him by then. Its the funniest thing. He can function without it for sure. But he still likes to have it with him. He's not even a weird person...that's my other brother. My blankie brother actually graduated from school with a chemistry, biology and emergency room nursing degrees with a 3.8.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. We all have our "blankie". Something that always makes us feel better, our luck charms, the ring was passed down to us from great grandma that if we forget to wear our day is all off.

Don't worry about her. Just love that you gave her something that means so much to her.
    leigh5525

Answer by leigh5525 at 10:48 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Of course it is normal. (Don't ler her know that I told you this) My 13 year old still sleep with bankey-bay at home; she takes a stuffed animal to overnight camp. I have my husband to snuggle.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:12 AM on May. 26, 2009

• SOOOOOO Normal! I remember having my blankie until I was five-ish. My son is a blankie kid at 18 months and he loves the silky part. My 4.5 year old daughter was in love with stuffed animal and in the last 6 months, we've seen her ween off it a lot. But those things will be with them forever. Enjoy it.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:31 PM on May. 26, 2009