A White African American??

I dont have a link, but I get a mag azine called The Week. In it there was a blurb and this is what it said...

"A medical student says he waws suspended from New Jersey's University of Medicine and Dentitstry for insisting that he's a White African-American. Paulo Serodio, 42 was born in Mozambique before moving to the US, and describing himself in a class assignment as "white, African America". Serodio says students and faculty berated him, saying no white person could call himself African American. When he persisted, he was suspended for 2 yrs. He is suing the school."

I think that is crazy. OF COURSE the man is african american. I was not aware that this was a term of race, but a term of heritage. He is FROM AFRICA to me that makes him more African American than someone who just claims it because of race. What do you think?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 7:05 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Who knows where any of our origins come from any more? The fact of the matter is, he was born in Africa, probably there fore had DUAL CITIZENSHIP which makes him MORE African-American than some black people are. I think it is disrespectful to use the term just based on skin color. Foremost because there ARE some white people who are African citizens as well as because not all black people have roots from Africa. The way the term is currently used makes a generalization that ignores the variety of rich heritgages that many whites and blacks have.

My good friend has citizenship in both Africa and America. Her mom's family has lived in Africa for generations. My white friend from Africa can't use AA on her paperwork but my black friend who is from JAMAICA can lol. It's rediculous.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:27 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I have a friend from South Africia who's encountered the same thing. When he says he's Africian people look at him like he's nuts. They don't understand that that's where he is actually from.
    Anonymous

• I would think probably because caucasians are from African countries for the one reason that they are decendants of European countries that colonized and ruled that area. I wouldn't think he was 'African' so much as I would think he was a guy born in Africa. Example: My Uncle was stationed in Germany when my cousin was born. So, my cousin was born in Germany...but he's not German. Just a guy who was born there. My friend Tanja IS German as she was born, raised and has generations and generations of family heritage to back that up. I would say the same thing if it were a caucasian born in Asia but claiming to be Asian. Does that make sense?
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 7:15 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Isn't Charlise Theron from Africa? So she would be a white African American if she is now a citizen of America. I don't see the problem and do not believe that he should have been suspended over this.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 7:18 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Any body with half a brain knows there are white africans ,,they are mostly from south Africa.

Answer by louise2 at 7:18 PM on May. 25, 2009

• The Boers and many many caucasian people have been in africa for generations upon generations upon generations. The dutch were colonizing Africa in the late 1600's.

I think if your family's been some where for 400 years. That's your nationality. IMO.

Hell my family's only 3rd generation Canadian but I wouldn't consider myself Scotish. I am Canadian.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 7:19 PM on May. 25, 2009

What if he were the 5th generation born in Africa?
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 7:19 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I see what you are trying to say Miz. But how many generations back do you go back to have a country considered "your" country. With that logic there are many of us who aren't Americans!!!
    Anonymous

• I can't believe he was suspended for 2 years. And I can't believe he was suspended because he called himself something in a class assignment. WOW!!!
    I'm with you.....I thought it was supposed to be about heritage.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:26 PM on May. 25, 2009

Thanks momma!
    Anonymous