army

my friends husband came home from the army this week end they have decided that he would live on base and she would live here.the wife doesnt seem to upset when he leaves.the son is out of control though and misses his dad,she could live with him.(another story)i am sorry but i would think there would be reprocutions from only seeing your father a couple times a year when you really could be living with him.i feel bad for the child.the boy seems really lonely.any ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Unless it is because of an unaccompanied remote or deployment, he could lose his base housing if his family is living somewhere else. My brother was stationed stateside, his wife (Japanese) was staying back in Japan to care for her elderly mother. Base Housing gave him "so many months" for his family to join in at base housing before he was told he needed to move off base. This was 7 years ago. I am not sure if it has changed. But if he is living off of base, I don't see that being a problem. Where he spends his BAH is up to him. As for the emotional ramifications on the family and son. I would imagine it would be hard. It depends on so many OTHER variables. How the child's mother talks of the father; What their relationship is like, etc... Too many variable and too interpersonal to get involved in a political/current even Q&A.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:11 PM on May. 25, 2009

• They must be broke up/separated..that's the only reason the army would do that if they were in the same city/post.

Answer by louise2 at 7:12 PM on May. 25, 2009

• What is the Question?

Not sure how this is Political/Current Event related. It seems more relationship and parenting. But if you could in one short sentence ask the question, that would be great.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:12 PM on May. 25, 2009

• the father is in the army in another state.the parents live aprt but are not separated.they have only seen the dad about 4 times in 3 yrs.what is this going to do to the son if anything?
    Anonymous

• Well when my Dad went to WWII my oldest brothers or my Mom never saw him for 3 years. The younger of the two didn't even know him when he got home. He is a retired Navy Chief and the oldest is a very wealthy businessman so I don't think it harmed either too bad.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:41 PM on May. 25, 2009

• My ex and I lived in separate states for many months. The army still paid for my housing and his on base housing. When we officially separated, he got in a butt load of trouble for not telling them, and keeping the rent he was supposedly paying for me.
    We had no kids,though.

The bottom line is, you don't know their entire story, and it's their business. Try posting in relationships or general parenting- I only go over there when I'm feeling shrink-y.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:20 PM on May. 25, 2009