How do I keep my cats out of the baby crib?

I want to move the baby to his own room in his crib soon, but our cats keep trying to sleep in it! The door needs to stay open for air circulation and temp regulation. I don't want them jumping in there at all, especially when he is in it. What is the best way to discourage this behavior?

elwalters77

Asked by elwalters77 at 8:01 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Pets

• they have this spray that u can put on the floor in front of the door it keeps the cat away and it's not a chemical. it worked when we wanted the cat out of our room at our house.
    tashathejoo

Answer by tashathejoo at 1:57 AM on May. 26, 2009

• A crib tent.
    As an added bonus, it lets you move your child to a bed when you feel she is mature enough for the freedom instead of being forced to move a very young toddler who is starting to try to climb out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:04 PM on May. 25, 2009

• THey have crib tents you can put up or you can put a fan in the room to keep the air going or a cool mist humidifier. Your son should be able to regulate his own temp by now and and a light blanket will help if you feel the room is cold. You can try a crib tent or using a spray bottle or something to squirt them so they get out of the bed.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:05 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Squirt 'em with a water bottle when you catch 'em in the crib.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:42 PM on May. 25, 2009

• My cat did the same thing. I would accidentally leave the door open and he would go in and sleep with her. He loved her so much then and so hates her now. lol Really other than the tent idea I have no idea. Cats pretty much do what they want when they want and if there is a way they have the will. Try the water bottle thing but if you have as stubborn of cats as I do it won't work...mine still get on the counters, even went I tried using the super soaker.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:19 PM on May. 25, 2009

• instead of leaving the door closed, could you use something to leave it cracked open? then you get air circulation but the cat can't get in. we used a hook and eye on our door for the first year or so to keep the cat out of the kids room. of course, once i knew i was pregnant, the cat was never allowed in the room at all. so he didn't know what he was missing! :) the kids are 3 now and the cat is just realizing that there is a room behind the door!
    twinsmom1214

Answer by twinsmom1214 at 11:21 PM on May. 25, 2009