Question for people who are pro-choice

This is a very sincere question, so I would really prefer thoughtful answers and not harsh attacks. But I've always wondered why pro-choicers feel so strongly that they have this practically god-given right to an abortion, or as often put - control their own bodies, when it's an artifical act to begin with. Since it's so unnatural how can it be such an innate right? I understand that abortions have been going on forever, but it's still an artificial, surgical procedure, so how can it be such a basic right? I'm not sure if I'm expressing my views correctly, but I hope that someone understands what I'm getting at and can give me some insight to something I've never really been able to understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A lot of pro-choice people wouldn't get abortions themselves. I'm one of them.

Pro-choice does NOT equal pro-abortion. I am against abortions. But I am not going to force anyone to do anything they don't want to do, and that's where the pro-choice part comes in. I myself do not agree with abortions but I'm not going to make that choice for someone else.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:14 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I know this Q wasnt really ment for me but I just wanted to say That I agree and ill leave it at that since this is suck a touchy subject around here...
    Anonymous

• To the first poster, maybe I didn't make my question clear, sorry for that. I'm not really saying anything about pro-choice being pro-abortion. My question is a little more philisophical. Many pro-choicers seem to think that abortion is a fundamental right (not that they personally would have them), but can you really say that something that is unnatural really is a fundamental right?
    Anonymous

• "A lot of pro-choice people wouldn't get abortions themselves. I'm one of them."

Ditto.

_Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 8:24 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Pro choice DOES NOT mean I am for abortion. I am TOTALLY against abortion.... but that doesn't give me the right to tell others what to do! That is why I am pro choice. This is a difficult issue, that for me.... ONLY GOD can judge. Not YOU or ANYONE ELSE!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:24 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I don't see how abortions are un-natural considering most if not all of the animal kingdom some how has control over whether or not certain sperm meets egg or if a fertilized egg is alowed to germinate into a baby what ever (I watch a lot of animal planet). In essence that is what birth control and abortions are, a selection of whether or not to procreate with a certain mate or not.

If anything we humans were gypped out of the "god given" choice to choose like the other creatures can.
    Anonymous

• " Since it's so unnatural how can it be such an innate right? I understand that abortions have been going on forever, but it's still an artificial, surgical procedure, so how can it be such a basic right?"

I'm not going to even bother directly answering that. Instead, look at it this way:

Heart transplants are not normal. It is an artificial, surgical procedure.
    C-sections are not normal. It is an artificial procedure.
    Dialysis is not normal. It is an artificial procedure.
    Tubal ligation and vasectomies are not normal. They are artificial, surgical procedures.

Would you say that people do not have the right to life-saving organ transplants and dialysis, because they are not natural? Do people not have the right to Tubals and vasectomies, to prevent pregnancy, because they are not normal? How about c-sections? They bypass the birth canal, and as such are not 'normal'.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 8:29 PM on May. 25, 2009

• insight to something I've never really been able to understand.

Understand... Everyone does NOT think alike>.>. What is so difficult about that?
    Anonymous

• YOU (not necessarily you in particular, more of a general 'you') may not choose to take any of these choices. That does not mean that someone else should not have the right to choose them.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 8:31 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Op, would you want to government to control your reproductive rights? That's what being pro-choice is really about. Being pro choice we don't want the government to have control over our reproductive rights which include: abortion, adoption, birth, and fertility drugs. It is our right to decide what is best for our lives and our family, it should never be up to the government to control that.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:36 PM on May. 25, 2009