How soon can you take a newborn to a pool?

My little girl is 3 weeks old and my dh and i were wondering when she can start getting accustomed to the water.

Lilglowy

Asked by Lilglowy at 8:27 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She could get accustomed to the water once her cord has fallen off....BUT...sunscreen is not recommended under 6 months and of course sunburn isn't either.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:30 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I think your only problem is the sun! Keep her covered even if it is overcast! Hopefully she will love it! My kids all enjoy the water.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:32 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I would say not under 6 weeks! but I would ask the doctor first
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:32 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I would not want to expose a newborn to all of the chemicals in a public pool. Baby can get used to the water in the tub until next year!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:35 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I agree with maggiemom2000, she sounds pretty young to be introducing her to a public pool. The sun, pool chemicals, and other issues. You'd also have to be careful with the water temp, because a newborn's body temp doesn't regulate as quickly as an older baby or toddler... most pools are heated, I know, but that doesn't guarantee they are at least 90 degrees...
    Anonymous

• I'd speak to your pediatrician.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:54 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Most swimming places will not start lessons until 6 months b/c of the baby not being able to regulate body temperature...however, a FEW of them will start at 3 months...we have my DD in lessons now. She is 9 months and it's an indoor heated pool....I would ask the doctor though about a newborn. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:41 PM on May. 25, 2009

• we went to the beach for memorial day and my dd loved the pool. she actually fell asleep becuase the pool was warmed. i would say 6 months because of sunscren but since that would be after the summer i'd cover her up good!!!! hat glasses the workds
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 11:50 PM on May. 25, 2009

• to clarify she fell asleep in my arms after bobbing in the water with us and loved floating on her back
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 11:51 PM on May. 25, 2009

• my sons pedi said its not good to have them in the sun/heat much until they are about 6months. Sun, heat & bugs, not to mention all the icky bodily germs in pools!
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 12:08 AM on May. 26, 2009