What causes skin to split around your nails, and what can I do to make the skin quit splitting?

I always have this problem, and the skin splits and cracks on every one of my fingers around the nail and looks a bit red and inflamed sometimes. I drink plenty of water to keep me hydrated, so I wouldn't think that was the cause.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I think this is caused from dry skin or cuticles. I get this often. And It doesn't help that I am constantly washing my hands! I use the Mary Kay Satin Hands kit. It works wonders. Or try just the Night time Emolient cream.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:31 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Any kind of nail oil around the cuticles will help with this problem. Go to the groceries nail section and look for a cuticle oil apply it often and you'll see immediate results.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 8:39 PM on May. 25, 2009

• It is caused from the cuticles around your nail drying out. This can be prevented/cured by ALWAYS wearing gloves when doing things such as the dishes, washing the car, cleaning, etc. Something you can do to help the situation right now is go buy some olive oil, and get some old winter gloves that you dont care to get rid of. Put a good amount of the oil on your fingertips and put the gloves on your hands. Sleep with the on a few nights a week. You can also use a cuticle oil as a PP suggested. Also try to cut things with alot of alcohol out of your regular routine such as hand sanitizers. I know people think they clean your hands and live by them faithfully, however they only KEEP your hands clean if they are aready clean. Instead clean your hands with a moisturizing antibacterial cleaner. And of course keep them loitioned up! Hope I've helped!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 12:15 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I think lots of Moms have this problem. Dry skin is a big cause! We wash our hands a lot, wash dishes, give babies their baths etc. Its hard on our hands. Also make sure you aren't cutting your fingernails too short! Avon makes a great cuticle cream. You should try it www.youravon.com/dhullum use code fsany for free direct delivery shipping! The footworks foot tablets work great on hands too!!!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:28 AM on May. 26, 2009

• if you have olive oil at home.. heat up a small amount (enough to dip your fingers into) in the microwave warm enough to be soothing.. not hot! soak for 5 min then rinse off (use mild soap) this works wonders!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:43 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Neosporin works wonders for me..try it!
    elliettehill

Answer by elliettehill at 12:03 AM on May. 27, 2009