Stripping membranes?

I am 38 weeks, cramping, contractions and dialated. I go to the dr tomorrow and thought about asking him about stripping my membranes. I have read about it but dont know to much about it. So is it worth having done if my dr will do it or not?

lillysmama2008

Asked by lillysmama2008 at 8:30 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you're having contractions and dilating, then I really don't think stripping your membranes will be any more productive.
    Anonymous

• Stripping of membranes may or may not bring on labor. There is a risk of artificial rupture of membranes (AROM) with membrane stripping and also of bacteria being introduced into your cervix. I've had it done in the past (before I knew the risks because that's not something my doc told me) and wouldn't do it again. One time, my labor began...the other, it didn't. Personally, I don't think it's worth the risks especially since when your body and baby are ready, labor will start on its own.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:32 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I think it's worth it, especially at 38 weeks. I had it done at 36 weeks, and all they do is take their finger and scrape the membranes. It doesn't really hurt bad, it felt like a usual visit (where they check how much you've dialated etc.) except slightly more painful, like some pressure.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon 8:31. If you're already contracting and dilating (whether they're BH or Labor Contractions), stripping the membranes seems pointless. Then again, it seems pointless to me either way.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 8:34 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I got it done but only to bring labor on. It sounds like you are already doing it on your own so I don't think I would get it done.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 8:39 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I got it dont when I was 41 weeks...and instantly went into labor I assume because I was soo far along because alot of times people have it dont multiple times and it does nothing...and if your already IN labor its not going to do anything. I think you should just wait it out.
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:47 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I am not in labor I wouldn't say, because I have been dialated for several weeks and contractions for several months. My point is that I am miserable!!
    lillysmama2008

Answer by lillysmama2008 at 9:26 PM on May. 25, 2009