Did you know that Harry Potter is a sinner? extension on "Jesus Camp" post

That woman that runs that camp in the documentary claims that Harry Potter is an evil sinner and sorcerer, and if we expose our children to him they will be horrible, evil, sinning people. I thought this was a bit of a stretch. I love the Harry Potter series of movies and books and IMO are a good influence on children. For those of you who are devoutly religious, what do u think?

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 8:34 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've NEVER seen any kill anyone by pointing a stick and yelling AVADA KEDAVRA! Those spells in the books are not real and almost nothing is similar to what real witchcraft is. People bash what they don't understand, and are quick to judge things they fear. I think most Christan HP haters are simply jealous that those books are way more entertaining that the Bible and that more kids would rather read those.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:06 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Ignorance is a blist. Instead of promoting literacy and fostering a love for reading is easier to call it sorcery. The atrocities committed in the name of religion or should I call it fanaticism?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 8:36 PM on May. 25, 2009

• well, according to some Christians, we're ALL horrible sorcerers because teenage rebellion is a form of witchcraft too! In fact I think if you rebel as a teenager, you're supposed to be stoned.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 8:41 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I'm not even devoutly religious, and I still don't see anything productive about Harry Potter. I don't think my children will be evil if they watch it, but sorcery, witchcraft, and things like that are not my idea of something I'd really want them to watch.
    Anonymous

• Stoned? Hardly. If it says that in the Bible I can just about guarantee that it's in the Old Testament, meaning that the Old Testament does not apply to us. It only applied before Christ came in the New Testament.
    Anonymous

• Isn't getting stoned rebelling?  LOL.

We're all big Harry Potter fans in my house.  In fact it's one of the few movies that the whole family wants to see together these days. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:54 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Damn IhartU, i could not have said this better myself. Unless I see a better one , yours will be my best answer. Thank u!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:15 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Point A: Witchcraft is a real thing. I'm sure some of you have noticed how many posts in the "Religion & Beliefs" sections is about witchcraft.

Point B: Witchcraft is STRAIGHT from the devil! There is no good in it, it is ALL evil!

So, with those 2 points in mind, Harry Potter is a series of movies filled with evil. Yeah, it's "cool", the fantasy part, ooooh magic! Well, in letting our children watch these things, you're allowing them to believe that witchcraft is OK. You're allowing them to believe in falsities. I've heard some people say that J.K. Rowling is a Christian, and that the movies and books are hiding a cryptic message, but what movie isn't "good vs evil"? I used to be a big fan of Harry Potter, but no longer since I've come back to the Lord, and my children won't watch it either.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:34 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Read my lips--Harry Potter is a FICTIONAL character. He is NOT real. In fact he is written as a Jesus figure who ultimately sacrifices himself for his friends and comes back to life in the final book, just like the fictional Jesus did. I guess we'll have to line up Harry and Jesus together for the stoning.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:39 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Hmmmm. Harry Potter is evil? LOL. Yeah,right. I just think there are too many frightened and paranoid Christians out there who can't cope and spend all their time avoiding reality. Harry Potter is fun---they have talking plants and pictures with moving people. Big deal. I have seen all of the films with my grandson. I see nothing wrong with it. Relax. Live life. Be happy.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:41 PM on May. 25, 2009