What would you do?

I have been a stay at home mom for about 3 years before I returned to the pharmacy. It has changed alot in 3 years!

So I'm at the workflow station and a customer comes. I pull her order and start to ring her out. She asks me if her insurance was billed and of course I said yes.

She asks me to reverse the claim, confused I asked if she had another insurance, she notified me that her Doctor wanted her to save money on her treatment, so to remove it from her insurance.

I did it, I reversed it, and was I pissed,happy and surprised!

The prescription she was buying was only $7 some cents, her insurance was billing her over 4x the cost!

Would it be a service to tell others with the same insurance and treatment or what?

Thanks.

IraqiVetWife

Asked by IraqiVetWife at 9:38 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't think you can really tell them. I found that out as well. Medical insurance is always like this. I go to the Dr., I tell them I am paying cash and they automatically deduct 60% of my bill. I don't have medical insurance. This is why.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:50 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Very very common! My grandmother had a $45 copay on a prescription that was on the $4 list at Target!! You can't tell anyone or it could risk your job but we can for you!!! Good for you dear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I don't have an answer for your question- but WOW I had no idea. Thank you for sharing :D
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:16 AM on May. 26, 2009

• And people wonder why the US has the highest percapita medical cost in the world? All this money, with rising infant mortality rates, life expectancies starting to dip, etc. What exactly are we getting for our money?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:43 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I actually work for a TPA (3rd party admin of insurance for self-insured companies) pros & cons.
    Insurance does hve some say so in the industry BUT, we also fight against the high cost out there. I also have heard thru my Doctor that some LOW cost generics are not the same as the other generics - lower grade..?? got me on that one, I don't know.
    BUT, what I do know is the OUTRAGEOUS costs we see from Hospitals.. This is just PURE RAPE to the consumer. I get pissed every time I see Implants, Out patient surgery, etc. 150 x their cost... PURE RAPE!
    We are even fighting w/legislature to lengthen the stay for Breast biopsys' now.
    SO, I agree to take the lesser fee - the more U do - the more it gets back to those that sell it.
    BUT, the drug companies also had to do something to "QUIET" the consumers. It's just a pacifier for now. U have to keep voicing UR opinion..
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 9:50 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Most of our RXs are a $5 copay, so I've never bothered to see what the non-insured cost is. But I know this happens all the time. So terrible.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:37 PM on May. 26, 2009