Flea help?

My dogs, yard, and carpet are infested! Up until this point I could not afford anything to help bc my husband's hours were cut but I found a job. So what has worked for you? I plan on getting some Frontline as soon as I get my first check.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Skip the frontline and go for the advantage (topical) or comfortis (pill) they are cheaper because they don't do the tick stuff. As for you house try rubbing some borax into the carpet and letting in set for a few hours then vacuum it up. Honestly though you aren't going to totally get rid of them if you aren't treating the pet. I understand money is an issue. Try contacting a local vet and see if they sell single doses. Our Clinic sells them for $13 a piece. Try to avoid the urge to shampoo your dog every few days it will just dry out his skin and make the topical flea stuff not work well when you get it. also remember that even once you have the pet treated it will take a good 6 months to completely have the problem under control. (there will be random hatch outs nothing kills the pupae stage) Good luck and I hope this helps some.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:13 PM on May. 25, 2009

• For your yard you can use a product with dursban or straight dursban. When you use it on the yard make sure you get the side of the house and screens if you have a porch. It will take several months to get the problem under control.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:24 PM on May. 25, 2009

• advantage is muuuuuuuuuuuch better!!! i wouldnt use anything other than advantage!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:31 PM on May. 25, 2009

• i say as far as fleas do a flea bomb then take your animals a bath with dandruff shampoo doesnt have to be branded shampoo, but that def. works for animals at least for dogs and cats.
    SINCONCEPCION

Answer by SINCONCEPCION at 1:20 AM on May. 26, 2009

• cheap way is to go to the dollar store & get some baby oil & baby powder. Use the powder on your carpets & furniture. The powder is so fine that it smothers the fleas. Oil your dogs heavily. let it sit for about 15-30 minutes. Then wash out with dish soap. The oil smothers the fleas same as it does for lice. Get Advantage from your vet. Not the cheap stuff at the store.
    When you can better afford it...BOMB your house.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:41 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Change your dogs flea collar every 3 months and bathe the dog once a week. and for now go to the vet and see what you can do to get the fleas off of him.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:33 AM on May. 27, 2009