Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what is exactly joint custody????

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • Joint custody is usually where the parents share the custody of the child. Most often they do it in manner where child support doesn't need to be paid.

    Answer by coala at 10:06 PM on May. 25, 2009

  • Depends on the state. Here in Washington, there really is no such thing. We have a 10+ page document called a parenting plan. In it, there is physical custody & legal custody. I have physical custody of my children which means they reside with me the majority of the time & their father has visitation. We have joint legal custody which means we each have the right to make medical decisions for the children when they are in our care (so if my DS breaks his arm, I can take him to the ER without having to call his Dad) & we make joint decisions as far as schooling, religion, and non-emergency medical (teeth cleanings, checkups, that sort of thing). Check your state laws.

    Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:08 PM on May. 25, 2009

  • where we are from it emans the parents share physical custody.. usually 50-50..... shild support is still paid if one parent makes way more than the other.... both parents care able to amke decisions about the child w/o consulting the other parent

    Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:25 PM on May. 25, 2009

  • An arrangement by which parents who do not live together share the upbringing of a child. Joint custody can be joint legal custody (in which both parents have a say in decisions affecting the child) joint physical custody (in which the child spends a significant amount of time with both parents) or, very rarely, both.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:50 PM on May. 25, 2009

  • usually 50/50 custody u have the child half the time and dad has the child half the time usually no child support is paid. i would love for my son to see his dad more but i dont think i could do it. being away from him for so long would be too hard. my man now him and his ex has joint custody he gets his son for 3 mts then he spends 3 mts with her. she lives in SC and we live in MI.

    Answer by monroemommyof2 at 3:40 AM on May. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.