could my two year old be autism?

he throws terrible fits and head butts everything but he does play good with other children its just his temper tantrums have gotten worse and worse and if we dont stop him he will bang his head until its bruised !

firejoe1123

Asked by firejoe1123 at 10:06 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Autism isn't about temper tantrums. If your son is on target with his speech, social behaviors and the rest of his development than I would say it's probably typical toddler behavior.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:10 AM on May. 26, 2009

• The only way to find out is to have testing done. Ask your ped about it. My son was the same way, but he also despised being touched, and would not make eye contact.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:12 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Lol, thats an odd question. The question should have been, how should I keep my kid from smashing his head off the wall??!! =)

If he doesnt cry when he gets hurt, maybe though. But then again he might just be difficult. My neice has autism and she smashed her face off the side of the trampoline and didnt feel it, and she has trouble with feeling when she has to go potty, and she has a speech problem, and she is slower than other children her age. Sometimes its obvious if its bad and you know what to look for, but take him to get checked. =) Good look
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 10:30 PM on May. 25, 2009

• it doesn't sound like autism. my now four year old did that. he does it because it gets IMMEDIATE attention. so i started putting him in the playpen every time he did it (there was nothing hard to hit his head on), but he would hit his head on the wall next to the playpen so i started pulling it to the center of the room. it worked really well. there was no reaction, just put him in the playpen and walk away. no attention.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:29 AM on May. 26, 2009