crawling ?

Is it easier for a baby to learn to crawl on carpet or hardwood floor?? And should they have pants on or not?? We have mainly hardwood floors in our house, and one room is carpeted. Just want some suggestions on some techniques to help him learn. He wants to crawl so bad!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He will do it when he is ready. We have carpet and she does great, but when she hits the kitchen or the bathroom she does a monkey crawl where she is on her hands and tip toes.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:10 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Oooh that's a good question =] My daughter is five months old, she's just now testing out her knees. I can't wait for her to start crawling.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:12 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I don't think either helps or hurts. My daughter crawls fine on both. I don't think pants matter either, but I do know my DD gets carpet burn on her knees when she doesn't wear pants, but the carpet burn doesn't seem to bother her. She DOES get dirtier on hardwood floor.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:12 PM on May. 25, 2009

• My daughter just started crawling YESTERDAY!! She is almost 11 months old.
    Anonymous

• I have all carpet except for the kitchen, and I found that evan would crawl on his feet and hands in the kitchen, but this was a while after he learned to crawl. When he was first learning, he actually avoided the kitchen because it was different, i guess. And as far as pants, I found that I liked pants better because I just dont like seeing his knees all red, but then again, I guess their knees need to get used to being walked all over anyway! lol But make sure the pants fit, but arent too tight. I have put a couple of pants on him before that were too big, so they would fall down his butt a little and he would start crying because he would get his toes stuck in the bottom of his pants and not be able to crawl. So, make sure the pants will stay pulled up while they are crawling. Good luck!
    Btw, I tried to encourage him to crawl, but it came fast enough. When he was ready, he just went! So dont be hurry him to much but GL!
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 10:56 PM on May. 25, 2009

• My daughter just started crawling...I think that it's easier for them to get traction on carpet. When my daughter hits the hardwood she slips....but that's ok to. When she has the coordination and strength for slippery surfaces she will master that too. LOL..

A far has helping him learn...just be there with tons and tons of praise in whatever big or tiny feat he masters. He will love the praise and will try again to get it.
    leigh5525

Answer by leigh5525 at 11:28 PM on May. 25, 2009

• my daughter did not prefer crawling on the hardwood and she would do the spider baby crawl on her hands and feet in the kitchen and living room and regular crawl in the bedrooms with carpet.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:27 AM on May. 26, 2009

• We always had my son on carpet so that's where he learned to crawl but now that he can the hardwood doesn't slow him down one bit. We always had pants on him but the soft cotton ones. I don't imagine it would be very easy to learn to crawl in jeans.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:49 AM on May. 26, 2009