I'm planting my 1st garden tomorrow. Any tricks or tips?

I'm starting small and am just going to do tomatoes and zucchini. I'm so excited and hope I can actually produce some vegetables.

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 10:16 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I recently just heard that by adding a couple tablespoons of sugar to the soil of where you are going to plant your tomatoes, the sugar will impede the bugs from eating your produce. The other thing is if you are going to plant zucchini, know that even a few seeds will spread accross the ground like wildfire, so make sure that you have plenty of ground space. Good luck and have fun
    www.enriched1.com
    amynic

Answer by amynic at 12:53 AM on May. 26, 2009

• You can also sray them with vinegar and cayenne pepper; this really helps keep the squirrels away.
    For slugs, put a lid from a jar (like mayo) into the grounds and fill with beer; the slugs die so happy!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Unless you like to eat zucchini by the bushelful, you'll only need a few (3 or 4) plants AT THE MOST! Those things are very prolific!

Tomatoes do better if they are caged or supported with stakes as they grow. They are actually an upright vine plant but as the fruit grows and becomes heavier they will end up on the ground, leaving your fruits open to damage by rot and slugs.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:18 AM on May. 26, 2009

• All of the above... and also while turning your soil put some veggie plant food mix in it and believe it or not dried crushed egg shells... the shells have nutrients that helps the plants... I also have been told to use old dried coffee grounds, but if you have a dog I would not recommend it, it apparently causes harm to them... I would only use coffee in my indoor house plants.
    I would also feed them once a month with the same plant food that you may add to the soil...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:24 AM on May. 26, 2009