Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

garnishing wages....

Ok so, I have 15 days to take care of this problem otherwise they said they will garnish my husbands wages. I have a credit card that I owe $5000 on. They said they would set up payments to pay in full, or I could make a lump sum payment of $2500. I can only come up with $1800, do you think I could ask them to settle for that and what chance do I have of them actually doing it?? I'm gonna call and ask tomorrow but I don't wanna be let down if they say no. Do you think its even a possibility?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • They may not want to settle for less than half...but ask.Nothing ventured, nothing gained. So many people are having financial troubles that many collection agencies are willing to work with you.

    If nothing else, that $1800 could get you set up for some payments and buy you some time to get the remaining $700.

    Answer by gdiamante at 10:22 PM on May. 25, 2009

  • Do they have a judgement against you? I am not really sure by law they can garnish your wages unless they have taken you to court and obtained a judgement. After that, I think it takes time. I think they are using scare tactics.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on May. 25, 2009

  • Anon 57 is right- unless it's student loans or taxes owed, they have to take you to court. Of course, if you don't show up they can garnish your wages, but not your husband's unless he is on the account with you. They might just be pulling your leg to see what they can get from you.

    BTW call them and ask if they'll take $1800 instead. Get it it writing, send them a certified check  as soon as you get it. DO NOT give them bank account information, credit or debit card numbers etc.


    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:14 AM on May. 26, 2009

  • Make sure you have a letter stating that they will accept the $1800 in full before you send them money. also be sure the letter states that they will put paid in full on your credit...or that it says something about your credit. Tell them that you have scraped up every penny you can find and that you want to settle the debt instead of using the money to get an attorney for court. If they say no, you can go to court. (you don't really have to have an attorney).

    Answer by ria7 at 10:58 AM on May. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.