If you have/had postpartum depression...do you get tired of being compared to the women who kill their babies (ie, the ones with postpartum psychosis)?

Ignorance, I tell you.

I'm very open about my postpartum depression. I'm taking medicine for it, and as my daughter gets older it's slowly getting better.

But as soon as people hear "postpartum depression", they automatically think I'm going to hurt my baby.

>:(

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 10:19 PM on May. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• i hear you. post partum depression is rare but post partum psychosis is even more rare. i wish people would do some research once in awhile instead of always making assumptions. a lot of people know very little about this. for example, anti-depressants are safe for BFing moms.
    Anonymous

• i had very b=very bad ppd with my second.. to the point where my dr didnt want me left alone... i never felt like i would hurt myself or the baby but i would just cry for hours and i couldnt eat and i was always throwing up...

i had started my meds before i had the baby but they didnt have time to take effect becuase he was early.. and then they werent strong enough.. it took about 6 months for me to get back on track....

but yes i agree ppl are ignorant...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:21 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I feel you. That is one of the reasons I waited so long to tell anyone (except for my husband and doctor) that something was wrong. I didn't want to be lumped into the group of people who kill their babies. I was so ashamed for the longest time. Then after speaking to my doctor, I learned that many women go thru this, and probably more than reported simply because they are afriad to speak up and get help or don't recognize what's going on.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:29 PM on May. 25, 2009

• i agree. i was one of those who wanted to hurt my babies. i was never left alone with them not because they knew i might hurt them but because i had twins and someone was always beside me to help me with anything.it took me a year of therapy and some prescription its like i was not myself.
    Anonymous

• I totally hear you.
    I suffered from post partum depression for about 18 months after I had my daughter. Fortunitely I had no desire to hurt my baby.

The problem was I had no desire for anything. I don't think people understand what depression really is. I didn't feel bad. I didn't feel anything but numb for months on end.

Fortunitely I had a wonderful doctor who recognised the signs almost right away and not only gave me medication but got me in touch with a wonderful suport group of mothers who helped me a great deal.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 10:45 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I suffer from bi-polar disorder as well as depression, so the concerns were valid...my psychiatrist makes sure I'm taking the correct dosages of meds, and that I'm capable of properly taking care of my child.
    Anonymous

• I agree. Another thing that bothered me when I had PPD was my own family telling me that I was faking it and to just get over it and I don't need meds or to talk to a counselor. It is not always that easy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I'm sorry all this happened to ya'll. I didn't have PPD but I did have bonding issues wth my son. It wasn't insta-love for me and my son. It really took a few months.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:26 PM on May. 25, 2009