I need help keeping the dresser drawers closed!!

My son is almost 13 months I love to let him just play in his room. The only thing that worries me is his dresser. He can't pull it over and it has the safety on them so he can't pull the drawers completely out, however he can open and close the drawers. He has already smashed his fingers in them and also when he gets the drawer open, he likes to take all the clothes out and throw them all over his room! Anyone have any ideas on how to keep them closed so he can't get them opened? I looked at the store at all the safety items to see if there was anything I could use but I didn't see anything. Please help!!

ctsassy

Asked by ctsassy at 10:22 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Did you check out the safety latches for cabinets? There are several different kinds, the ones where you have to push the button on the outside to take off the strap that holds it closed and then there are ones that you have to open the cabinet a little and push down the latch on the inside to get it open. I don't know what kind of dresser you have or if those would even work but just thought I'd suggest it.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 10:25 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Be glad you only have one, we have two that are now 3 & 4. They have gone through about 4 dressers so far. We put latches on them....they yank them hard enough to actually break the latches, pull the drawers all the way out and jump on them. Our living arrangement used to be at my in-laws, dh and I slept in a small cabin in the back yard and the boys were in the house with MIL/FIL. I don't know if they just didn't hear anything or didnt' bother to go look. Before anyone starts bashing...yes we did everything we could think of..time outs, taking toys away, spanking...nothing worked. So now they dont' have one at all. We are now living in an apartment and they've already torn down the window blinds that came with the place. I shudder to think what their teen years will be like.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:28 PM on May. 25, 2009

• i had to use those screw in hooks for outside gates on our drawers. they hook through an eyehook but the kids can't pull the locking part on the hook back to open it up
    twinsmom1214

Answer by twinsmom1214 at 11:07 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Check to see if any of the kitchen cupboard door locks will work. There are types that will work with just about any drawer pull though some of them mean locking two drawers together.

Also, be very certain that he can't pull it over. Don't just trust to it's weight to keep it from tipping over on top of him. If he can pull out the drawers, he may try to climb on top of it too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:50 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I put magnetic safety latches on my 2 year old sons draws. Only way to get into them is with the magnetic key. It has worked out great for us!!! I plan to use it on my younger son as well.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 1:12 AM on May. 26, 2009

• With my ds, I put the dresser inside his closet and installed a hook-and-eye lock at the top of the closet door.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 1:16 AM on May. 26, 2009