Cocaine in Red Bull...

Germany is banning Red Bull in parts of the country after tests showed it contained .4 micrograms per liter. Sure its a small amount but still. I don't let my kids drink any energy drinks but I know plenty of people who do. Should we do testing on it here in America? If cocaine is found in it do you think they would stop sales of it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30929880/?gt1=43001

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 10:28 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yes if there is cocaine in then they need to take it off the self and stop selling right away
    Anonymous

• I was addicted to the stuff once upon a time. This is scary.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:31 PM on May. 25, 2009

• It's not like they're sprinkling the power into the beverage at the factory. It said right there in the story, it has coca leaf extracts (as well as other foods) NOT cocaine. The cocaine is derived from the plant, not the plant itself.
    AriMicSun

Answer by AriMicSun at 10:52 PM on May. 25, 2009

• What AriMicSun said.

Also, you can become "addicted" to almost anything. I swear I was addicted to Sweet Tea once. It was almost all I drank, and if I went a day without it I would get terrible headaches and the shakes.

And what the heck are people doing letting their CHILDREN drink energy drinks?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:54 PM on May. 25, 2009

• yeah, lol i read the same article, it didn't say the cocaine, like u buy on the street is in the drink.
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 11:04 PM on May. 25, 2009

• The coca leaf actually contains COCAINE in a very low dose. Here's the info:

Cocaine could only be taken in leaf form until about 1860. The natural source gives a low dose of cocaine with effects similar to drinking strong coffee. People who chew coca leaves do not often have a serious addiction problem because there is so little cocaine in each leaf. However, in 1858-1860 cocaine was isolated from the plant material by chemist Albert Niemann at the University of Gottingen in Germany. Shortly after this form of purification was discovered, people began to inhale it (snort) and to inject it.

So there is cocaine in coca leaf, and the tests were showing .4 micrograms of cocaine (not coca leaf) in the drink. Of course spokespeople for Red Bull are going to claim it's safe. But if Red Bull is so safe for us, why is it banned in 4 different countries due to health concerns?

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:10 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Cocaine is cocaine. It is derived from the coca leaf which contains, of course, cocaine. Its the same as the street drug, just in a muc hlower dose in leaf form.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:12 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Coca leaves are used as a flavoring agent only after removing the illegal cocaine alkaloid. "De-cocainized extract of coca leaf is used worldwide in foods as a natural flavoring," said a Red Bull spokesman in response to the German government's announcement. Though the cocaine alkaloid is one of 10 alkaloids in coca leaves and represents only 0.8% of the chemical make-up of the plant, it's removal is mandated by international anti-narcotics agencies when used outside the Andean region. Bolivians have tried to get the world to understand that the leaf is not a drug if it's not put through the extensive chemical process that yields cocaine.
    Anonymous

• Really I dont think its that big of a deal, seriously its only 0.4 MICROGRAMS that is such a small amount its ridiculous to even fret about, and dont get me wrong I am not all pro drug or whatever I just think that there are by far bigger and more important issues to woory about, at least here in the states there is for sure
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 11:59 PM on May. 25, 2009

• It's not enough to show up in a drug test. Which means the amount in it is like what you would get in a poppyseed muffin..... Should they ban those too??????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on May. 26, 2009